Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Showers and Sprinkles
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Your first baby, your first baby shower, it's very exciting time to celebrate you and your LO. But what do you do when having another, do friends or family throw you a Sprinkle?

I am invited to a Sprinkle for my cousin's wife, pregnant with their second child and the theme is diapers - just bring a pack of diapers. I thought this was a fun way to celebrate baby number two. After talking with family members other theme ideas were freezer meals or a meal sign-up, restaurant gift cards or babysitting coupons.

Have you ever heard of or attended a Sprinkle? What do you think of the idea?
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Capriciousangel31 responded:
I have heard of having a diaper and wipes party but never a sprinkle, personally I think they are a great idea especially for the non-first time moms out there who tend to be forgotten

mwhite80 responded:
I have been to several sprinkles, they are basically mini showers where large gifts are not expected. Mainly moms to be get the consumable things we all need for baby like diapers wipes, lotion, baby wash ect. I like the idea but what I did when I had my daughter we had a party after she was born so people could meet her and also bring small gifts, we are planning to do the same after Mathew is born.
Madeline(32)DH Nathan(31)-DS Paul(5), Angel baby mc @ 6weeks 8/2008, DD Isabella (17 months), New Baby Boy Mathew Charles EDD 8/25/2012

happymoe responded:
My MIL is exceptionally superstitious about having a shower before the baby is born so we waited until after DD arrived.

We had purchased a carseat, travel crib, basic gender neutral clothing, receiving blankets, a towel, wipes, diapers, etc. to get us through the first couple weeks. Above and beyond that we waited until DD was born.

My MIL then threw us a surprise baby shower when DD was about 3 weeks old.

I'm hoping after #2 is born here in the next two weeks that someone will put a sprinkle or diaper/wipes party on for us. I'm not going to ask anyone for anything but it would be super neat if someone set one up.

scperdomo7 responded:
Lurking from 2nd

This will be number 2 for us. We just found out the gender a few weeks ago - well, we didn't really find out, the US tech put the results in an envelope for me and sealed it. In a couple weeks we are having a gender reveal party where everyone finds out the gender via a layer cake that will have either pink or blue frosting in the middle (we'll cut into it to reveal the gender).

It was actually DH's idea. I didn;t want to find out at all and just wait until after the baby was born and do a meet the baby part, but DH thought that was "stupid" and had this idea instead. We are throwing it ourselves, with the main focus being on finding out the gender and no expectation of gifts (obviously).

beckie_33 responded:
I've never heard of a Sprinkle party but I have heard of a 6 month party. When the baby is 6 months old you have a party and everyone brings a 50 cent coin to help start a savings account for the baby. Other gifts are optional.

RobynMia responded:
I've heard of both. I think a sprinkle is better then a baby shower, less pressure on guest and they get to meet the little one.

I did not have a shower because of the guilt I felt asking people for gifts for a planned pregnancy. And, despite the fact that people say "you don't have to bring anything" that is far from the truth. Between weddings, showers, graduations, etc., the money is just not always there and it seems that some feel that they should be getting gifts verses feeling humbled that friends and family are willing to support their growing family.

I made the choice to have a child not my friends and family. I felt that if someone legitimately wanted to get me something for the baby and I they would do so. And, a few people have.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I recently had my first child, a beautiful, healthy baby girl! She's the light of my life :-)

Helpful Tips

help
what do contractions feel like? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful