Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Please Help!!! Contractions???
beckie_33 posted:
I am only 30 1/2 weeks pregnant and I lost my mucus plug yesterday. All night i've been in pain that doesn't go away when I change positions, etc. I'm having cramping and sharp pains in my abdomen and back that last a long time and are very painful. Change positions actually makes the pain worse. I've also had diarrhea and alot of gas.

Is this labor or just braxtion hicks contractions.

speechtxjessica responded:
sounds like labor! I would recommend heading to the hospital

hgreenwood7058 responded:
that sounds like preterm labor. Get to the hospital hun. Its always better to be safe than sorry.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

korin81 responded:
I agree with PP...head to the hospital! Good luck and hang in there!
Korin(31), DH(26), DS(3), DD(1), Khloe Madison EDD: 10/18/12

beckie_33 replied to korin81's response:
I did call my doctor and I was told to go to Labor and Delivery. They checked me and I am 1 cm dilated and aprox. 30% effaced.

I was having some contractions so they monitored me for several hours and did some testing for a yeast infection and bladder infection among other tests. So far everything is negative.

After IV fluids the contractions slowed so I guess I was a little dehydrated and that can cause contractions. I try to drink plenty of water but I guess it just wasn't enough so I have to increase my fluids and I have to make sure I go to the bathroom aprox. every 2 hours so my bladder isn't full because that can cause me to have contractions. I already make several trips to the bathroom throughout the day so what's several more going to hurt?

I'm happy all is well and i'm not having my baby anytime soon.

korin81 replied to beckie_33's response:
Glad everything slowed down for you! Hopefully it stays that way for a bit longer
Korin(31), DH(26), DS(3), DD(1), Khloe Madison EDD: 10/18/12

BeautifullyBlessed replied to beckie_33's response:
I'm glad everything went well.

How many cups of water a day were you drinking? I'm just curious to know what amount can cause early contractions...for example if I only drink 2 cups a day...will I end up dehydrated?

I drink 6-8 cups a day...more so on the 6 cup side...so just wondering what your intake was.

beckie_33 replied to BeautifullyBlessed's response:
I'm not sure the exact amount of water I was drinking. I have a 20 oz. eco cup that I constantly had filled with ice water. I'd fill that about 3-4 times a day or more. Because it's been so hot lately i've needed more water. I know I didn't drink as much water yesterday and I had the day before. I need to remind myself to drink more each day from now on. I know that soda's can dehydrate you so I don't drink any soda.

The recommended amount of water is 8, 8 oz. glasses a day but if you live somewhere where it gets pretty hot you'll need more water and if you are active you'll also need to drink more. Just be sure you drink enough and if you start to feel contractions then drink more.

Thanks everyone for your concerns. I'm glad that everything has slowed down and i'm not having my baby anytime soon. I want a strong and healthy baby.

happymoe replied to beckie_33's response:
So happy to hear that baby is still cooking.

I had food poisoning at 28 weeks that brought on steady braxton hicks after all that V & D. I had to go get IV fluids and IV gravol at the hospital to get the contractions to stop. We're at 38w1d now and still cooking.

hgreenwood7058 replied to beckie_33's response:
I am glad your LO is still cooking. Best wishes.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Mandy (23) and I am happily (most of the time) married to Brad (25). We have an almost three year old son named Dylan and are very excited ...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.