Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
why my fasting level are high ??
tgspe posted:
hello am 34 wks pregnant and my doctor says i have GD so i change my diet and i lost a few pounds he said that fine cause i was a little overweight he also told me because my fast is high he,s going to give me some medication to take at bedtime i was scared but i said ok , i will only have dinner drink water when am going to bed i,ll talke the pill and the next morning my SL is still high why??? am so worried.

beckie_33 responded:
I have the same problem with my fasting blood sugars in the morning. When you get up in the middle of the night to pee try eating a small snack. It could be that your blood sugar is dropping in the middle of the night and your liver is working over time and raising your blood sugars. This is what is happening to me. I'll check my blood sugar levels at 3 am and they will be in the right range. If I eat a snack then when I wake up they are still where they should be. If I don't eat anything then they are high. Try this for a few nights and see if this is what is happening to you.

korin81 responded:
Same issue with me....

My first pregnancy GD was very easy to maintain. Second pregnancy around 36 weeks I could not keep my fasting levels below 95...so my OB put me on 1/2 pill of Glyburide at night and that did the trick. My levels have been great till today, my fasting was 106 WTH!!!! So I have to bring this up to my MW tomorrow but it looks like I will be taking meds again....less than 7 weeks to go!!!!!!
Korin(31), DH(26), DS(3), DD(1), Khloe Madison EDD: 10/18/12

tgspe replied to korin81's response:
but thats the thing am on the same meds and its still above 95 most morning and when i do the test after dinner it would be ok and i will only eat a pear or some grapes and water .korin am scared to eat fearing that it will get too high.

tgspe replied to beckie_33's response:
beckie i dont want to eat and it comes high in the morning

beckie_33 replied to tgspe's response:
How many carbs do you eat at each meal? I was first put on a low carb diet with only 30 carbs a meal and 30 for snacks, but that changed to 45 per meal and 15 for snacks after they changed my insulin.

Be sure to eat plenty of fiber and eat foods with less sugar. grapes and pears do have sugar in them and that can raise your blood sugars. I was told that half an apple, peach, etc is aprox 15 carbs. I can eat as many veggies as I want and they have a lot of fiber and very few carbs. Things like protein and fiber help your body to digest sugars better keeping your blood sugar down. And be sure not to skip meals.

Do some research online and see what you can find out.

tgspe replied to beckie_33's response:
thanks i did already but i,ll do some more,i have my ultrasound appt and obgyn appt in the the next few days i,ll keep you guys posted.hope they dont put me on insulin.

I hope they don't put you on insulin as well. I hate having to give myself shots every day and I take 2 different kinds of insulin. So i'm giving myself shots at least 5 times a day.

Most of the time they start you out on pills. I don't know why i'm different, it might be because I was diagnosed very early. Or maybe because my A1C was high, which I have now lowered conciderably.

Many times you can control your GD by just changing your diet and exercising more. Take a walk after meals, go swimming, etc.

korin81 replied to tgspe's response:
How much glyburide do they have you taking? They may have to "up" it. I was on 1/2 a pill last time. Even having a snack at night my fastings are still between 99-106. So I will be on meds soon. I know they can only go so far with glyburide then they move onto insulin. Hopefully it does not come to that though.
Korin(31), DH(26), DS(3), DD(1), Khloe Madison EDD: 10/18/12

tgspe replied to korin81's response:
well i went to my ultra today the baby is ok they said they cant do the weight cause i did it 3wks ago and its every 4wks it should be done,but my doctor says the heartbeat is strong and he,s moving around and he turn already which is all good so am smiling again.now i ask him why my sl is high in the morns even thou its okay after dinner he said am not eating enough so in the late mornings my blood drop very low and works over time to make sugar so even though am watching my weight i should not starve myself when am hungry eat but eat small portins.where i was thinking the less i eat the lower it will get not so.again thanks yall for your imputs.

I thought the same thing when I was first diagnosed with GD. If my blood sugars were too high then I would skip a meal or just eat a yogurt and some cheese or munch on beef jerky. I was always hungry but scared to eat. It didn't help my blood sugars much and I got tired of being hungry all the time so I would make sure I ate something every couple of hours and kept it very low in carbs.

Even now I still have problems keeping my blood sugars where they should be, but my doctor isn't too worried because baby is growing normally and is strong and healthy.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Kelly (32) ~*~ Craig (36) ~*~ Eliana (5) ~*~ Joshua (3.5) ~*~ Rebekah (1.5) ~*~ Samuel John (EDD 2/24/2012) ~*~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011) ~*~ ^i^ (Jan ...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.