Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Considering c-section
Springmama13 posted:
Im considering a c-section for a couple of reasons. Anybody have any advice or experience they care to share?

reb_hun responded:
wouldn't do it unless it is medically necessary. the recovery time is longer plus i've heard it hurts more. plus if you go naturally you can lay down to sleep with little to no pain, if you get a c section, i don't think there is any comfortable position. what are your reasons for wanting a c section? plus most doctors won't let you go naturally after you've had a c section, too worried about it coming open during labor.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I had 2 c-sections for medical reasons and wish I was able to deliver vaginally. My first was fairly easy but I had minor complications with my second that necessitated a trip to the ER for excessive bleeding.

There is more pain, you can't lift anything heavier than your baby for some time, getting comfortable in bed is harder and getting out of bed almost requires help. If you are on pain meds, you won't be able to drive until you are completely off them.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I had to have an emergent c-section after a very long labor. What are you looking at having a c-section for? Medically or timing or size of baby etc...? My c-section was very painful. I had to be put completely under but it was necessary. I couldn't lay flat. I couldn't get out of the hospital bed without help.And couldn't walk straight for a couple of weeks without quite a bit of pain. This isn't how it is for everybody but this is how it was for me. I did have some complications though during the L&D process and when I had the c-section I also ended up with a severe tear on my uterus that they had to repair. I will have to have c-sections from now on. I have heard from a quite a few people though that the 2nd c-section is not as bad and healing time was not as bad. A friend of mine was up walking around with some pain but very manageable the day after her c-section with her 2nd child.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

Springmama13 responded:
Thank u ladies for the replies. Im considering csection cuz i found out my placenta was low and not sure if it moved up yet, my doc apt is tues so i'll find out then.
This is also my first baby and scared to death to push her out, i've been having a lot of pain and just afraid something going to go wrong. We have to march til she comes out and shes also in a breech position, i know that might change but im just worried like any new mother would be.

An_242764 responded:
I had to have an emergency c-section and it was not fun. Recovery time is longer and it can be pretty painful. I was unable to get out of bed for at least 24 hrs after my c-section and because of GD and my baby in the NICU I couldn't see him for those first 24 hrs.

My baby is now almost 4 months old and I still have problems. My lower abdomen is numb and if I stretch too much it starts to hurt again. Not to mention it takes you longer to get your stomach back.

Once you have a c-section it's harder for you to be able to have a natural birth later on due to the possibility of tearing along your previous c-section during child birth.

Yes, a scheduled c-section gives you the choice of your childs birthday and you may not have to worry about going over your due date but I think the risks out weigh the positives.

I don't know why anyone would want to have a c-section if it's not really needed. An not all doctors are willing to do a c-section if one isn't really needed because of the risks.

hgreenwood7058 replied to Springmama13's response:
Springmama13. That makes a little more sense about the placenta and the breech. Some babies wait till way close before flipping to the right direction. Are you going to have a repeat ultrasound to check on the placenta? If you start having cotnractions and start bleeding at any time other than just a little spotting you need to get in because with low lying placentas that haven't moved up or previa (covering the cervix) the placenta could detach or start into the canal and that would mean emergency c-section. I would wait to hear recommendations from the dr. Pushing the baby out while it sounds not so fun, the recovery is a lot better. I would have rather done it that way but it became to dangerous for me and my son. I labored for 36 hours before the decision was made for the c-section due to safety. 30 hours of that was natural and I did end up with an epidural (which if you are laboring and its a strong labor like mine the thought of a needle in your back-not so bad. Which you would have the same thing for a planned c-section too). Mine wore off on half my body due to only being allowed to be on my side. My emergency c-section was also done under general anesthesia so they knocked me out. I didn't get to see my son till about 11 hours old but I have a hard time coming out of anesthesia so to be coherent it took a lot longer.I went through all of the effecrs, swelling and all to try and have my baby vaginally it just didn't work out. If your placenta moves up enough and baby flips I would try to go this route first. Yes there is pain but you forget that pain when you get to hold the baby in your arms after you have him/her. Good luck and best wishes.Oh and I am a first time mom as well. If you can, go to some birthing classes it would be very helpful and they can answer questions and help you prepare. I did this and found it helpful.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time Mother to Be. . I am 20 Yrs of Age and I am Having a Baby Boy Named Tristan Gabriel <3 My Estimated Due date is December 17th! I ...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.