Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Child and Family Services
An_251560 posted:
Please no judging,criticism,or lectures. I am 9 months pregnant with my second child and have been smoking marijuana through the whole thing. I have been trying to quit for the last week, but it's not really going so well as it helps with my migraines,nausea,depression and anxiety. I was reported to Child and Family services after giving birth to my first child for testing positive for THC (I live in Montana). A month after giving birth and being reported someone finally contacted me and came to my house for 45 minutes and just observed things. At this time I was no longer smoking. I never heard from her again. Now here's my concern:If I test positive again and get reported for a second time (in almost 2 years), will Child and Family Services take my children, or simply just do what they did before?

An_242764 responded:
There is a very good chance that DCFS will take your children because this is the second time you would have tested positive for the same thing. Meaning that they will see it as you didn't learn the first time.

But one thing I've noticed with DCFS is that sometimes they do things by the book and other times they do what ever they please not caring about who they might accuse or hurt in the process.

Unfortunately you are just going to have to wait and see what happens. If you are honest when going in to deliver the nurses and doctors will be able to know what to do to help your baby with the withdrawal process. DCFS will be involved sooner but they might be willing to work with you more on getting you some added help to deal with the migraines, depression, etc. If you ask for the help yourself then they are more willing to help you so you can keep your kids. Majority of the time a social worker wants to see the kids stay with their parents because it's easier to help the parent than try and find a place for a child in foster care.

One of my best friends is a social worker and she had several families that she works with and she always wanted to see the kids stay with their parents if it was at all possible. It killed her to have to take away kids from their parents.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS#1 11/06, DS#2 - ^Jeremiah^ - had Anencephaly, a severe neural tube defect - Born 8/14/09, Died 8/17/09, M...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.