Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
braxton hicks? and incontinence
nreyn3 posted:
This is my first pregnancy that has survived past the first trimester. I've been having braxton hicks contractions starting around 15 weeks, with no pain. They just made it feel like I was carrying a bowling ball, and lasted a min or so, then everything was back to normal. I am now 28 weeks as of today! This morning, however, I had what I assume is a braxton hicks contraction. However, I was incredibly uncomfortable (pain in upper uterus area, diarreah like cramp feeling, and I tried walking it off and sitting to no avail) and it lasted about 3 min, went away and came back 10 min later, and lasted abour 2 1/2 min and then everything was back to normal. Has anyone expierenced this?! I go to my OB on Tuesday and will be talking to him about it, and if it happens again I might call and talk to a nurse practicioner.

On a more amusing note, there are alot of things they don't tell you before you get pregnant. I have now had this happen 3 times. My bladder wasn't 100% empty and I have sneezed, coughed, or get kicked in the bladder (by the baby!) and wet my pants. Not alot, just a few drops. At first it freaked me out. I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid until I checked my pany liner and it was definitly urine. ... 12 weeks left and I'm counting it down! I'm so ready to meet my little girl!!!

mommyin2011 responded:
Braxton Hicks (BH) are happening to me more and more these days. The doctors says its fine...they did offer me to take a drug to stop them, but the risk of harming the baby was there, so i didn't take it. I went into pre-term labor (4 weeks early) and they had to give me 2 shots to stop labor...(im on my 3rd baby; due 2/3/14)

If it gets worse, let your doctor know"026but, from experience, BH just happen"026its your body getting ready for labor J

here is something i found online:

How often do the contractions happen?
  • False Labor: Contractions are often irregular and do not get closer together.
  • True Labor: Contractions come at regular intervals and last about 30-70 seconds. As time goes on, they get closer together and stronger.
Do they change with movement?
  • False Labor: Contractions may stop when you walk or rest, or may even stop if you change positions.
  • True Labor: Contractions continue despite movement, rest, or changing positions.
How strong are they?
  • False Labor: Contractions are usually weak and do not get much stronger. Or they may be strong at first and then get weaker.
  • True Labor: Contractions steadily increase in strength.
Where do you feel the pain?
  • False Labor: Contractions are usually only felt in the front of the abdomen or pelvis.
  • True Labor: Contractions are more intense and may start in the lower back and move to the front of the abdomen. Or they may start in your abdomen and move to your back.
If you have signs of true labor, contact your health care provider immediately. If you're not sure, call your health care provider anyway. If you are having any of the following, you may be in true labor.
  • Contractions every 10 minutes or more than five contractions in an hour
  • Regular tightening or pain in your back or lower abdomen
  • Increasing pressure in the pelvis or vagina
  • Menstrual-like cramps
  • Bleeding
  • Fluid leak
  • Flu-like symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
If you are having Braxton Hicks contractions, you really don't need to do anything unless they are making you uncomfortable. If they are, try the following:
  • Take a walk. False labor contractions often stop when you change position or get up and walk.
  • Get some sleep or rest.
  • Relax.
  • Drink water.
  • Eat a snack or small meal.
  • Get a massage.
Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!!!
Me (30) DH (31) - DS 7/31/11 - DD 7/18/12 - BFP 3 due 2/3/14 BLUE TEAM!!

nreyn3 replied to mommyin2011's response:
Thank you so much!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Lisa. I'm 33 and already have 2 kids, my son who's 15 and my daughter, who's almost 19. This is my third baby. I have a wonderf...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.