Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
UTI causing contractions?
ElanaK posted:
My doctor diagnosed me with a UTI about a week ago, but I probably had the UTI for several weeks without noticing. (tmi, but I was peeing a lot, but no burning or anything so I figured it was just the babies sitting on my bladder.) Anyways, during that time period I had a lot of Braxton-Hicks contractions. Now that I'm almost done with my antibiotics I haven't noticed any contractions today or yesterday (which is a big change from contractions every hour). I could tell my contractions were really spaced out even on Friday. Anyone know if the two could be related? Can a UTI cause contractions? Or do you think it's a coincidence??

ejk_klk2007 responded:
Yes they are related. I'm not sure how, but my gf is pregnant also and went to the ER thinking she was having pre term labor (she has had it with both of her other kids and this is baby#3) the ER told her that she had an UTI and that is why she was having contractions/braxton hicks. Once she finished the meds the contractions disappeared also :) I'm not sure why it causes contractions however that is more than likely why you were having them.

damiansm0mmy responded:
i had a uti too my doctor told me it will cause contractions and if left untreated for too long will give u a kidney infection which can cause you to go into labor once i finished my medication my contractions stopped too

ElanaK responded:
Wow thank you both so much!

iluvmymarineandmunchkin responded:
I actually had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. I went to labor and delivery around 27-28 weeks because i was having contractions and was diagnosed with a UTI. What happens is when you have any type of infection in your body the body is trying to protect the baby and get it out of the body so its not affected by the infection that is in your body. I was told it is a defense mechanisim of the body for protecting the baby.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey I am the mother of a beautiful daughter born on june 9th, 2010. awaiting the excitment of whats to come!!

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful