Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
non-reactive fetal non-stress test
lexiesfolks3 posted:
Hello all,

I am 37 weeks 1 day and my dr has been doing fetal non-stress tests for about 3 weeks now because I went through a period of time where the baby didn't move for over 3 days and since then the baby's movements have been very erratic and I cannot feel him move every day. Well today the dr mentioned really fast that the the non-stress test results were once again non-reactive . (he said that more under his breath like he was talking to himself) and then he immediately switched the subject and started talking like everything was great.....

I didn't really give it another thought b/c he said everthing looked good but when I got home tonight I just looked it up on the internet and the "non-reactive" result is apparantly the "bad" result. It's pretty vague on the internet, just stating that it may or not mean anything and more testing is usually done, but my dr hasn't done any other testing.....

anyone have this issue now or in the past or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shani_girl responded:
I would call tomorrow first thing and talk to the dr. I can't believe he would send you home with a bad results. GL!!

Minnmommy2b responded:
I agree with the pp. The doctor may not have wanted to put you in distress but its not like you're incapable of coming home and googling it! You armed yourself with info, call back and say that you've done a little bit of research, know that its not a positive result and you want more information from your doctor. Demand to be informed.

dueinmarch77 responded:
Yea... i looked it up... one site said: A nonreactive non-stress result requires additional testing to determine whether the result is truly due to poor oxygenation, or whether there are other reasons for fetal nonreactivity (i.e. sleep patterns, certain maternal prescription or nonprescription drugs).

I know you knew that you needed more tests, but he SHOULD have let you know SOMETHING!!!! But, the other places I looked pretty much said the same thing, just not to worry.

I would def do what they said and call tomorrow for sure!!!

Kyesmomma responded:
I also had non-reactive non-stress tests during the majority of my pregnancy. I had to start the non-stress tests at 28 weeks after I started having early contractions. So, from 28 weeks to 37 weeks I had weekly non-stress tests. I FAILED each NST during weeks 28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36!!! After each failed test, I had a BioPhysical that I would always pass. During the NST, I would usually not even get ONE heart rate accelaration. The only times I got one acceleration was when I drank Mt. Dew before the test! I would feel the baby kicking...but still usually no accelaration. It was pretty depressing:(. Finally, at week 36 I PASSED the NST!!!

At 37 weeks, I went in for my weekly appointment and I was 1 centemeter dilated. The doctor said I would probably have the baby in the next couple days. Within 48 hours, my water broke and I had Kye 5 1/2 hours later.

When he was born, he received a perfect Agpar score! He is full of energy (too much!) I promised myself I would post something about him failing NST tests too, in case someone else is having the same problem. I was so depressed after failing them each week. I was so sure something was wrong. But, he turned out perfect! I just wish I wouldn't have spent my last trimester totally worried about that stupid NST test! If I could do it all over again, I would just skip that stupid test!!!!!

lisax4156 responded:
I'm supposed to have non stress tests twice a week as I'm high risk. I'm 33 weeks. During my last test, on tuesday, the nurse thought something was wrong cuz the baby was so hyper and wouldn't settle down. He had been active that day for an hour and a half before finally going to sleep.

I do have days where he doesn't move much at all. When I have my NST, they do ultrasounds before hand to make sure the baby is doing certain things. They also check for fluid levels, heartrate, fetal movements such as limb movements, 'breathing' exercises among other things. This is a bio-physical profile..

I failed 2 out of 3 NST so far due to him sleeping. He refuses to wake up, even when buzzed. He tends to be awake before and after my drs appts.

I would ask your doctor for a biophysical profile to make sure everything is ok. Have you had any ultrasounds recently to make sure things are ok? I would be demanding them.

Lisa
33 (me) 30 (BF) 18 (DD) 15 (DS) and baby No.3 due 8/10.. It's a BOY! His name is Tristan.

Hopingforalitlleone responded:
I have to have 2 non stress tests a week due to a high risk Gestational diabetes late diagnosis . im 34 weeks 5 days and they wouldn't tell me at first what the results were until i went in and demanded to know what was going on with my daughter , and why so may non stress test's and bio physical profiles ! They finally told me that because my Diagnosis was a late one that There worried my daughter isn't getting enough to eat. I would ask them to do a bio physical profile on your baby(Also referred to as a color doppler) to look at the blood flow from the placenta to your baby and to the baby's heart.
I would more or less demand this if they haven't done one already .. And if you want information straight you have to be Forward with your doctor its your body and your baby if you think he is holding some kind of information from you you need to address it immediately, by calling or going in and telling him "I want to know everything!" dont smile and say well everything looks good ! Becuse even good can be "Not so good" or it could really mean Everythings good ! Ask to see Results from the test , and your medical chart. my office actually gives us a copy of our medical chart every time we go in ... they cant hold Your Medical information from you Its yours. So when you go in be a little *itchy And demand you be told Whats really going on ! i had to and now my doctor tells me why they order each test , your not questioning their judgment or there professional knowledge you are simply Being educated about your body and YOUR baby... Keep your chin up and get busy Getting answers !

SLT2011 replied to Kyesmomma's response:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For posting this....

I am currently 36 weeks and have been getting NST's done since week 31 (I went into preterm labor) and my baby has not "passed" them. When we do the Bio-Physical she passes that with flying colors.

The doctor (not my OB-GYN) is concerned that something is wrong with the baby's brain since her NST's are non-reactive.

This is so depressing and frustrating....it's good to read a happy ending!

JadeNBrave replied to Kyesmomma's response:
Thank you for taking the time to write your experience. I am 33 weeks and as you, failed the NST test the last four times. I got depressed as well. I am going to follow your lead, which I agree, the tests can put you over your logical positive balance!
She did get am 8 out of ten each time with the BioPhys testing, I hold strong to those markers!
I started to watch my breathing and to focus on clear and deeper breaths, so she is assured to get the oxygen she needs on my behalf*

Thank you Again!
Jade

REDDPOOH replied to Kyesmomma's response:
Hi, I was reading your forum and I am having the same issues with this non stressed test. I wanted to ask you. Did your doctors tell you that your baby could go into stillborm. My doctors want me to sit in the hospital for 6 wks and I am only 30 weeks so i decided to leave . This is so confusing. All of my test are non reactive every since I started these test at 27 weeks. If you have more information to help me. Thanks

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to REDDPOOH's response:
Hi Reddpooh,

I am sorry to hear about the NST and your doctors concerns. I am sure this is a very scary time for you and want to make sure you have as much information as possible to make the best decision for you and your baby.

The previous member may not be following this discussion since she would have delivered about 3-4 months ago.

After reading through this discussion, please gather and write down questions for your doctor. If they want you to be hospitalized for the remainder of your pregnancy they may have additional concerns.

Please ask specifically why you need to be hospitalized and what complications can develop.

Have you had ultrasounds and biophysical profile performed?
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I am Katya. I am 26 and have been married for 6 years.We have a son who will be 3 in August and expecting a baby sister. We cannot wait for our...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.