Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Child Protective Services
jillianhubbard posted:
Now before any of you get on your pedestal, I'm just asking a question, and I would just like facts, not OPINIONS. I live in Texas (some states have laws about these things) and I was wondering if anyone knows what would happen if they were to drug test you when giving birth and you were positive for marijuana. Also if there were no probable cause to administer the test, would they still give it to you? Since marijuana has not been proven to have any effects as far as the health of the baby goes (I have done research, trust me) then why would child protective services get involved?

darlingnikki09 responded:
I can't answer your question, but I had never heard of anyone being drug tested while giving birth...I would think they would need a reason to. But I am no expert, and I have also never given birth before, so I don't really know what to expect. But it does seem weird with everything else going on during birth that they would worry about doing a drug test.

jillianhubbard responded:
Let me clarify. I don't mean during the actual birth. After the birth is what I am talking about. Maybe 20-30 mins after the birth, I have heard that they will give a drug test to you and to the baby.

millerve responded:
I was an intern with the Department of Human Services in Oregon and I have my degree in Social work.. Yes, if you they do test you for drugs during or after child birth.. and it test positive for drugs of anytime, you will get child protective services involved. But if they have no probable cause they won't drug test you.. I know in Oregon sometimes they ask the mother if they have used any drugs in the last 9 months. Hope that helps..

darlingnikki09 responded:
Oh ok... that makes sense that after the birth they might do it. I would have never thought of that. Sorry for butting in, my curiousity just got to me!

manoloblanikgrl responded:
From working in a hospital, and having a friend who works in the NICU, I know that at least this hospital (Fresno, CA) does run a drug test on babies. They do it with the routine stuff they do. I know that if a baby tests positive for drugs CPS will have to be involved, and most likely, they baby wont get to go home with the mommy. All hospital employees are manditory reporters, so whether they want to or not...they have to. So...If you have been partaking in the occassional joint or bong rip or what have you...and you don't want your baby to go home to a group home or foster care....try not to toke up from about 45 days from your EDD.

G8 responded:
Your baby shares your blood. THC is carried in the blood and crosses the placenta. I am unsure if there are any long-term effects on the baby. I don't know if anyone knows. But your baby is being exposed to marijuana and feeling the effects in utero just as he or she would be one day post partum if fed a magic brownie.

Crystal0001 responded:
I will be totally honest here. With my first baby (he is 9 1/2 now), I had such severe morning sickness that I was in the hospital 3 times getting fluids in me because I couldn't keep anything down, nothing helped, I was losing a lot of weight, etc. Finally, my husband (ex-husband now) convinced me to try some marijuana for the nausea even though I did not want to put anything in my system. The anti-nausea meds the doctors gave me did not work...nothing did. I was VERY sick. So, I tried it. Let me tell you, it was the only thing that kept me out of the hospital and able to keep things down. When my nausea went away, I stopped smoking it. However, I still had that feeling in the back of my head that what if they tested and found out, etc., even though it had been several months since I had any by the time I delivered. Nothing happened or anything, and yes, I have studied up on it too, and it is less harmful than cigarette smoking while pregnant and the women in Jamaica use it all the time with no apparent bad effects on the baby. However, it is not a good idea to use with no medical purpose during pregnancy, just as any other substance should not be used without clear evidence the benefits outweigh the risks. I am not a marijuana smoker and have not smoked since that time (I never had anything but mild morning sickness with my other pregnancies), but I would encourage you to stop. First of all, you live in Texas, and I would not be surprised if they routinely test after the birth. I live in Oregon where medical marijuana is legal and if someone is pulled over and they are caught with less than an ounce, the officer just makes them dump it on the ground and never even issues a ticket, much less arrests you. Some states are much less forgiving on that issue. You really don't want to risk going home from the hospital without a baby do you? If you stop now, it won't be in your system at the time of the birth. Regardless of whether it makes you a bad mom or not, the laws in your state could label you as such and that is not a risk I would ever be willing to take. Think about it.

brisoqt responded:
The hospitals allways check the babies even for nicotine... my cousin smoked with ehr daughter and a social worker came and talked to her. they asked all kinds of questions she said.

tifa1724 responded:
If the mother has a history of drug abuse, or the doctors suspect there could be drug use they can and usually do, do a drug test. My "SIL" has had her last two children taken away from her for failing a drug test after birth, but it's usually when they test the baby and find drugs that they get in trouble. The last baby was after they lost all 5 of their other children in a drug raid. Nothing was found but some baggies, but they ended up signing away their rights to the oldest 5. The 6th child they had after getting clean but she tested positive for marijuana and they are still fighting to try to get their 6th child back (they even moved from WA (where the 5 were taken) to MT (where baby 6 was born)) The bay is now 9 months old and they aren't any closer. Not that they should get their child back, because obviously they haven't changed.

brendi5864 responded:
I am glad you have asked this beause it was something I was curious about too. I have done extensive research on it bt could never find out my states, or really any other states rules on testing baby and mother at the hospital. The closest thing I found was if there is probable cause for them to test you and baby they will. But even with that done, CPS would be involved but I don't think they would remove your child from you right away. I'm sure you know who Melanie Dreher is b/c of this topic, but if not I encourage you to research her and her work. She is a phenomenal woman. There is a half hour youtube video that sums up her work if you have time. It puts things into lehmans terms. I appreciate the post and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

dueinmarch77 responded:
I, personally, get pee tested everytime I to the doctor. I know it's for all kinds of stuff, but my first d/a I tested positive for marijuana, but that was the only thing... haha! But, that was when I had just found out I was preggers. But, I've had friends where the dr. knows that it helps with morning sickness and stuff. I've known people to smoke their entire pregnancy and CPS was never involved (that I know of) I would just stop a month or so before... cuz thats a dumb reason to get all stressed out while at the hospital, ya know?

DSTdiva07 responded:
I live in TX and it is common for there to be routine drug testing. And if they find durgs in you and your babies system, your child will be taken into protective services. I would suggest if you don't want to chance your child being apart of the govermental system, that you stop whatever it is that your doing for whatevet reason.

BabyMakes_4 responded:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZKahoEPJE

This is a you tube video about a young couple in Texas who had their baby taken from them at the hospital because of a routine drug test preformed on the baby at the hospital. Baby tested positive for pot. The child was given to the grandmother because of the positive drug test, but was later taken away because on a surprise visit by cps the baby was found alone with her parents. She was put in foster care where she developed a diaper rash so bad that it blistered. Poor child.

This next part is my opinion, so read it if you want to.

I am not judging you, but it is 9 months of your life that you should refrain from certain things to give your baby 80+ years of a healthy happy life. No, there is no proof that pot hurts baby, but being taken away from it's mommy and daddy and put into foster care where god knows what kind of care it may receive... Is it worth the risk? It is routine to drug test infants in the hospital in Texas, don't let your baby get taken away because of a drug that should be legal anyway. IMO

LilBlondeRNBSN responded:
I am a registered nurse & although I have worked in trauma for the past year & a half, I started my career working as a L&D nurse at a major urban hospital. Although I cannot speak for Texas, I know for a fact that here in Michigan they *can* and *will* perform drug testing on *any* woman who is suspected of using drugs during her pregnancy, as well as her infant--no exceptions. I have wittnessed this scenario first-hand on several occasions!!! One particular time, a patient's friend was overheard by a nurse making a comment about the woman smoking weed while she was pregnant. That is all it took for social work to get involved & the woman *and* her infant were immediately tested for drugs--right there on the spot (a mere hour or 2 after the infant was born). It is very sad to see a baby taken from it's mother over something that seems so minor... but legally speaking, drugs are drugs, and whether you are smoking a little weed or injecting a "hard drug" like heroin, they don't care--it is all the same to them. And generally speaking...it is all unacceptable in the eyes of the legal system...

Best to try & stay clean--at the very least during the month leading up to your delivery. Better safe than sorry.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey I am the mother of a beautiful daughter born on june 9th, 2010. awaiting the excitment of whats to come!!

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.