Skip to content
Why so long to start Radiation
pennybug posted:
Well I saw my oncologist and I am taking hormone shots plus radiation therapy.. I took my first shot and it is three month so have two more for a total of nine month.. He told me that we will not start radiation therapy until March and the weather will be nicer.. As he and we have a way to travel .. I understand this reasoning but I can't in all fairness see that it can help my situation to wait so long.. Psa was 45 , gleason 7 and bone scan shows no fluid but reason to suspect there will be some cancer outside prostate.

BillH99 responded:
I had surgery and have not a re-occurrence so I have limited information on radiation and hormone treatments.

But my impression is that this is common. That the purpose is to shrink the PC and weaken it before the radiation.

That way the radiation has a higher probably of totally eliminates the PC.

Fairwind responded:
They may want to see how you respond to the hormone therapy before they subject you to the radiation.. With a PSA of 45, both surgery and radiation tend to be ineffective forms of treatment. The waiting period gives them a better opportunity to see the true stage of your cancer..

pogo5079 responded:
My new Oncologist told me Mon. that his group customarily waits about four months after surgery to begin IMRT. I had DaVinci 21Sept. and Lupron shot 28Sept. Don't enjoy the waiting game, but should be used to it by now. I asked if the radiation treatment is designed to control or eliminate the remaining cells and was told the goal is to eliminate them, so thats what I was hoping to hear. The whole experience with doctors and everyone else involved is becoming a crazy kaleidoscope that can hopefully come to some kind of a conclusion one of these days soon. In the meantime, bring in on, and lets get this radiation show on the road.
Old Sarge

pennybug replied to Fairwind's response:
So when I asked for honesty from them and told them I was a big boy and could take it they didn't believe me?? I feel so left out here and at this time of my life it is the last thing I want. My wife asked the oncologist what stage my cancer was in and he looked at her baffled for a minute and said well, stage one always.. What the heck does that mean? Even we know this is not stage one or they would have at the least suggested removal of the prostate as an option

pennybug replied to pogo5079's response:
I have never had prostate removed and it is not an option in my case. I do feel however that I need to be told truthfully and to every extent what my game plan is here though and why , where and how without beating around a bush.. i am just frustrated.

pennybug replied to BillH99's response:
This makes a bit of sense .. I just want to get on with it I guess.

Fairwind replied to pennybug's response:
While you are waiting, read Dr. Patrick Walsh's book, "Guide to surviving prostate cancer"..

At some point, your doctors should be running more tests and scans on you to try and determine if the cancer has spread..These procedures are not perfect but they are better than nothing. Ask about a MRIS performed on a Tesla 3 machine..This scan can answer a lot of questions..Also ask your Radiation Oncologist whether the planned radiation treatment is with curative intent or is it just palliative..Google Partin Tables and enter your numbers into one...Best of luck to you..

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center