Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
21+ Year PC survivor, in need of input.
autoharper posted:

Sorry this is a reposting I put on a couple days ago, but I needed to revise it.
I was Dxed with PC 1990, with RP in June of 90
My Gleason score in 1990 was listed as 2+3=5 with extensive perineural invasion. Also listed as stage C, T3

I was tracked by a oncologist for 10 years with PSA still undetectable.
On the 12th year my PSA test was 0.1, PSA gradually elevated to at the 15th year check it was 0.6.
I checked back with my surgeon, who sent me back to my oncologist. At this time I was told I should have salvage radiation treatment.
42 salvage radiation treatments on trillogy machine at OSF St. Francis Medical Center 10-19-05 to 12-13-05..
PSA dropped to 0.1 after treatment, but now is up to a 2.9 as checked 11-8-11.

I went to see my oncologist Wed 11-15-11. and he wanted me to continue to wait and watch. I have also been advised that maybe I should be on a hormone therapy.
I have decided to look for a second opinion from another oncologist some place else.
I am looking for information on what course of treatment I should be looking for.
As of last year, no metastasis could be found. I am a 78 year old, and except for the PC, I feel that I am in very good health. .
Thanks for any suggestions anyone medical, or personal experience has to offer.
Jack

Fairwind responded:
The hormone therapy can be very effective in controlling your cancer...But will it allow you to live any longer? That question has never been answered very well...HT comes with a heavy load of side-effects that can have unpredictable consequences for a 78 year old...Did you read my reply to your original post? This board can be tricky to navigate...

autoharper replied to Fairwind's response:
Thanks Fairwind
I did read your first reply and I replied to it, but maybe it was removed before you was my reply.
Thanks again for your input, and I will weigh it with any other input I get.
I know I am not really rushed to reach a decision on this, but I do want to make a proper decision, (if possible), on this.
Jack

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center