Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Radiation side effects
An_242621 posted:
5 hours ago Prostate Treatment Side Effects

Harley1218 posted: Am in 6th week (6 of 9) of radiation treatment and taking alfuzosin but today about an hour after treatment I had the urge to urinate and couldn't hold it more than 10-15 minutes without leaking badly before relieving self. Will this subside after treatment or am I going to have to wear diapers????? Continue taking medicine???? 0 Replies |Watch This Discussion | Report This

DUKE MEDICINE
Judd W Moul, MD responded:
In general, these symptoms are common during radiation but will likely get better within several months of completing radiation. If this problem continues to happen, ask your doctor for a bladder relaxation medication for overactive bladder. This medication may be useful in the short run while you are experiencing this unpleasant, but temporary, side effect.

Best wishes.

Dr. Moul

GeoRick replied to Judd W Moul, MD's response:
A question for Dr Moul, if I may. I've been looking for any information about low testosterone and poor quality of life for my father who is taking a testosterone inhibitor because of his prostate (possibly cancerous, hasn't had a biopsy, he is 87). Do you know of any remedies to this situation? Are there any ways for him to regain his lost energy level while on testosterone inhibitors? Any way to keep the testosterone level down but compensate for/replace/substitute for the missing testosterone in the testosterone-energy relationship?

Thanks and Regards,

Rick

Fairwind replied to GeoRick's response:
Putting someone on ADT (hormone therapy) because he MIGHT have PC is not very sound medicine...

I would endure the biopsy before I would submit to chemical castration on the HUNCH I had prostate cancer..

You failed to mention your fathers PSA level which might be high enough to rule out the need for a biopsy...

marinemustangpa replied to Fairwind's response:
I agree - I personally have stayed away from hormones prior to and post radiation even with a rising PSA with consultation with urologist. I just got x-ray, CT-Scan, Bone Scan and MRI which shows no mets. Just a rising PSA. Will keep evaluating situation every 3-4 month and do what I have to when required.

Quality of life is important to me. I had NO problems with 40 doses of radiation. And have enjoyed 7 years since although PSA has gone up.

Chuck

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center