Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newly diagnosed
romel2020 posted:
Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and am overwhelmed with my new reality. I am 50 years old and am to young for the treatment side effects.

jdangler responded:
I was 50 when diagnosed also. I had radical prostatectomy, & breezed through it pretty much. I did have erectile dysfunction for a year, then function returned to about 80-90% normal; I never had any real problem with incontinence--and I believe all these kinds of issues are even less common now with robotic surgery (so I hear). But, I've also heard I did exceptionally well (lucky for me)! So much depends on what YOU want to do. What is your doc recommending? I assume it is a biopsy-proven diagnosis, right? What was your PSA level? I can't speak to radiation therapy or cryo or any other;

romel2020 replied to jdangler's response:
First of all let me thank you for responding to my post. Initially I felt like I was on an Island with out any comparative support. Your response allows me to feel a sense of kinship and support. I guess it's natural to think the worst once you receive news of this kind. After reading your post I am filled with a sense of hope for success and a sense of normalcy. My PSA was 12.3 in August and 17.1 in November and my biopsy was performed in December and was positive with a score of 3 3 in both samples. My Doctor recommends surgery or radiation a.s.a.p. I am without health insurance so I am blessed to be working with the county health system. For better of worse. I go back on February 1st to let the Dr. know which procedure I decide on.

billh99 replied to romel2020's response:
A Gleason score of 3 3 is fairly low risk, but the high and rappidly increase PSA is of convern.

Like jdangler I has surgery and very minimal problems. If you click on my name in the response you will get a list of post I have made. Several of them I have given more details.

And look at the post for the last few months. You will find others that have had sucess with radiation.

romel2020 replied to billh99's response:
Thank you BillH99 for your input and insight. I will look at the information you suggest and move forward accordingly. Again, just the fact that I am able to dialogue with someone takes much of the drama, and a lot of the fear out of the situation.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center