Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PSA and Biopsy
CaptBionic posted:
I am a 52 year old male. In 2009 I had a PSA level of 5.8.....and my doctor did a biopsy which he reported was negative. Now its 2012 and my last PSA reading was 6.9. Could that biopsy have been wrong?? Should i be getting another biopsy?.....If its not cancer, why is my PSA level so high?

My last exam confirmed my prostate was slighly enlarged....given my age, im not suprised. Im more concerned by the extremely high PSA level and the possibility that the biopsy was incorrect....

Appreciate any thoughts... Steve

billh99 responded:
In reality the prostate biopsy is like finding a needle in a haystack.

In early stages the cancer is often just a very small thread at the start.

I don't know how many samples that they did on your. But instead of 6 more are going to 12 samples. And in some cases saturation sampling of 20 or more samples.

I know of some people that have had biopsies for a few years before it detects PC.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center