Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Muscular/bone pain
CWCWC posted:
Dr., a quick history. I am 52, excellent health except PC. Discovered through biopsy August 2011. Gleason score 8 (4plus4) with a psa of 8.6. I have very much confidence in the Dr. I have. Late in September 2011 I had a bone scan and a CT scan, both clear. Beginning October I began a 5 month run of Lurpon, and simultaneously 22 external beam treatments. In December (early) had brachytherapy, the Dr. was very pleased. PSA down to .3 at this point. I developed some shoulder pain in mid November, it never went away and the last few weeks it is worse, with pain floating down my arm as well. It can be lessened with ice and ibuprofen, but really kicks up at night. My deductible began again this year, I am on a (very) limited budget. My Dr. says he feels it is not mestatic, and is just a strain (makes sense since my muscle structure is very sparse to begin with and the Lupron has left me weaker, no doubt). What is best course of action to consider, I have tried massage and chiropractic. I play a musical instrument and use my left hand in a strange position (I am taking a break) and have had some problems with this shoulder before. But, I can't help but be concerned. Any perspective on this? Thanks!

billh99 responded:
You might want to try a physical therapist.

I have had good results for shoulder and back problems caused by bad posture and too much desk work that caused muscle imbalances.

I understand these kind of problems are common with musicians and some physical therapist have specialized in those problems. You might want to ask around and see if any of your fellow musicians have any recommendations.

In some states you can go on your own. In others you need a referral from a doctor.

And tell the PT about your financial concerns. In my case he test and gave me specific exercises and then follow up after 3-4 weeks to evaluate the progress and update the exercises.

CWCWC replied to billh99's response:
Thanks Bill,

I think that is the next step, I am just concerned about whether this has gotten into my bones or if I should worry at this point. Should I get another bone scan to be "sure?" or spend my limited funds at the therapist to address the symptoms I have. I can't really do both at this point.

billh99 replied to CWCWC's response:
I am just another person that has PC and some aches and pains, some explained and some not.

So take my thoughts with a ton of salt.

You said that it was a muscular pain and the doctor said that he did not see any reason to suspect that it was bone cancer.

And the pain is in your shoulder. My understanding is that metastasized PC cancer most often shows up in the back or hips.

And although a Gleanson of 4 4 puts you in a higher risk area the fact that the PSA was still below 10 is a good indication.

Personally, but then I am writing this from the comfort of my laptop and not dealing with it personally, would not get the scan at this time, but watch the PSA tests.

BTW, between the time of my diagnoses and the surgery I had a change in bowl habbits and a sever back pain and problem walking.

While, as far as I know, the spread of PC to the bowls in not common because of the close location I was concerned that the PC had spread into the bowel.

My PCP was not concerned about that, but was about the problem. Colonoscopy showed that it was not from the PC.

For the back pain was sudden and very sever across my lower back and buttocks. And I stagger when I tried to walk. I almost called 911 thinking that it was stroke. Then I realized that it affected both sides equally and there was no strength lost. It stopped in about 30 minutes.

I did not even think about PC causing it, but my PCP was concerned. An MRI showed that caused by "geezer back". Some arthritic bone spurs and narrowing of the opening where the nerves leave the spinal column.

CWCWC replied to billh99's response:
A "geezer back" is a great way of putting it. I appreciate the input, and informed thoughts. I agree too, and am simply going to watch my psa, and try to do some in-home re-hab. I saw my regular doc yesterday, and talked to him about it. The fact that it was worse at night was what scared me- bone cancer/mestatic often worse at night as we all know. He showed me in the literature- shoulder/joint problems "often worse at night". It could be anything. Thanks very much, best of luck to you, and your health. These forums, which I have just come to, are a good thing, with good people on them.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Vacuum Pump
Radical prostate surgery 7 years ago. Now 67. Have used the injection with success. Best overall is the manual vacuum pump that I currently ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center