Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Recently Diagnosed and Confused!
ntredme posted:
I was told on 2.8.12 that my biopsy revealed Prostate Cancer. My Gleason score was 3-3. The Urologist gave me 4 options. 1. Watch and Wait. 2. Radiation. 3. Robotic Surgery. 4. Seeds. I've read so much I'm confused, let along shocked with my diagnosis. Would appreciate any helpful feedback anyone can provide.

Shocked and Confused!

billh99 responded:
Some questions that might help me give you a few thoughts.

What is your age?

What is your health otherwise?

What was your PSA?

What percentage of canceer was found? In how many samples?

If you did not get a copy of the pathology report call the doctors office and ask for it.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi ntredme, - It is always a shock to hear that one has Cancer and Prostate Cancer (PCa) is no exception. But Cancer comes in many forms and many stages and they are not all the same by any means.. Without more information, any answer that you receive, as it may apply to your specific situation will be pure speculation and unreliable.

But, IN GENERAL, I can assure you that the Gleason SCORE of (3 3) =6 is the lowest (most favorable) that should appear on a Biopsy Pathology Report, since the modern protocol was adopted by "standard setting "Pathology governing bodies across the world in 2006.

Although the single most important element in determining the probable aggressiveness of the disease, it ALONE is not able to assess the clinical STAGE of the disease, its proliferation and/or prognosis.

Such items as the number and percentage of PCa found in individual core samples, the total number of samples obtained and the other items mentioned in the following article can be very important in assessing the extent and significance of the disease that is present. You need to learn them in your case.

The four treatment options you were given are all likely to be valid, along with others, but, here, patient age can be extremely significant in the considerations, along with the items previously mentioned. Read this article for more helpful information.

What EVERY newly diagnosed Prostate Cancer (PCa) patient needs to know! by John E. Holliday, FACMPE

First, ALL Prostate Cancer patients should determine the basic diagnostic realities of their specific disease and understand its relative significance. In my opinion, EVERY newly diagnosed PCa patient needs to gather the following data, to even START your considerations.

I would suggest you begin by acquiring the following diagnostic results.

(1) What was my last PSA prior to diagnosis? (If available, previous PSA readings with dates are helpful). Either get copies or write them down.

(2) What is my complete Gleason SCORE? (Primary Secondary GRADES = Gleason SCORE) ie: (3 3)= 6, (4 3)= 7, etc.

(3) What is the clinical STAGE assigned to my Prostate Cancer? (ie: T1c, T2a, T3b, etc.)

(4) Obtain a copy of the Pathology Report from the Biopsy, which should be available from your Physician. It can contain helpful information, now and in the future. Keep it for your records!

These 4 items, when coupled with your age and ethnicity, will provide the BASIC information necessary to BEGIN to truly understand what the status of your disease is thought to be, at the time of your diagnosis.

When embarking on any journey, when trying to determine the route you want to take, you must first determine where you are NOW, and this is that START!

Without knowing this basic information, and understanding its relevance, informed decisions cannot be made and the applicable relevance of gathered information remains undetermined.

If a man has been diagnosed with early stage disease, as approximately 3 out of 4 men presenting today are, there is usually no urgent reason or necessity, to make a hurried, uninformed decision.

If you feel rushed, pressured or remain uncertain as to whether you know enough to feel relatively comfortable with your choice, wait until you are.

Obviously, however, there is no reason to unnecessarily prolong the decision making process beyond that reasonable time frame needed to acquire, and to understand, such information. Delays should NOT be the result of unwarranted procrastination.

With this basic information, the educational learning process can begin and more INFORMED decisions are then possible.

I will be happy to answer specific questions that anyone may have. - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

ntredme replied to billh99's response:
I'm 59, in excellent health walking 3.25 miles EVERY day, my latest PSA results were 4.8. I don't remember the Doctor telling me what the percentage of cancer was found, but I'll find out. I believe 13 samples were taken. First thing on Monday I'll get a copy of the pathology report. Thanks for replying!

ntredme replied to az4peaks2's response:
Thanks so much for your reply! In December 2009 my PSA was 3.9, in December 2010 it was 4.1, and in December 2011 it was 4.8. I'm not sure of what stage I'm in, I'll call my Dr. first thing Monday to get that info plus a copy of the pathology report. Again, thanks so much!

Fairwind replied to ntredme's response:
All the numbers are important, but your Gleason Score is the key as to how your cancer will be treated....

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center