Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Prostate exam after prostatectemy
Tengoku posted:
I had my prostate removed over 2 years ago and have recently had a general medical examination to check my overall physical health. During the exam I was given a standard prostate exam.

My question is: is it normal to have a prostate exam after your prostate has been removed?

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi Tengoku, - If this is a general examination, it is not unusual to include a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam). Obviously, they are not specifically examining the Prostate, since there is none present, but there are other reasons for doing a DRE in a complete examination.

Urologists,usually, do not routinely do DRE's after the Prostate has been removed, since their DRE is done to feel the Prostate, which no longer exists.

Most feel that the monitoring PSA is far more sensitive than the DRE, in detecting any potential PCa recurrence. This protocol, of course, can vary by individual Physician and Specialty.

Hope this helps! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

billh99 responded:
Did this doctor know that you had your prostate removed?

And even if he did, it possible that with a general physical he went through the standard routine without realizing that yours had been removed.

Remember it is never wrong to ask questions. And to also remind him that you had your prostate removed.

survivingcancer responded:
My husband had a radical prostectomy a yr & a-half ago in B'ham, Ala. His oncologist recommends an exam to check for possible masses developing in the area where the prostate used to be, @ his next appointment. Personally, I feel this is a wise decision since his cancer involved 2 lymph nodes. I am staying on top of all the info I can to help fight this dreaded disease. We had only been married for 5 months when it was discovered. He is currently on hormone treatments. Good Luck!!!! and God's blessings!!!!

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
There is certainly nothing "wrong" with doing a DRE after radical prostatectomy.

Traditionally this was done at every visit to check for "recurrence." Many urologists, however, believe that the likelihood of finding a prostate CA recurrence on DRE is highly unlikely in the face of an undetectable PSA.

An internist may have other reasons to do a DRE -- looking for rectal cancers, hemorrhoids, etc.

Like anything else, it may be good to ask your doctor the pros and cons of a DRE.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center