Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
rising psa
An_242284 posted:
Originally in Feb. 2011, I was diagnosed with a gleason scale of 9 and a psa of 441. It had spread to local lymph nodes & small spot on my hip. In November of last year the spot has not grown and my psa had dropped to 0.7 This is due to the Lupron shots I was receiving & 8 weeks of radiation therapy. Without my knowledge i was switched to Trelstar 3 months ago and my psa has risen to 2.2. I am now back on Lupron and Zometta hoping that my psa will go down again. Has anyone had this experience. What are my chances that the Lupron will bring my psa level down again.
Thank you

Fairwind responded:
When hormone treatment stops working, the disease is called hormone refractory prostate cancer .

Are you being treated by a Medical Oncologist who specializes in prostate cancer? If not, you should make an appointment to see one..Also, have your testosterone level checked. If the drug is doing it's job, it should be below 20. Below 10 is better still..Ask about a treatment technique called "Triple Blockade" where 3 different drugs are used to completely block the action of your testosterone..

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Checking a PSA and testosterone will tell you if the hormonal treatment is effective. Data would suggest that sooner or later the Lupron (or whatever form of hormonal treatment is given) will fail and the PSA will start to rise. In some men, this happens within a year and in other men with metastatic disease this can happen over the course of several years.

Fortunately, we are in a new era of advanced prostate cancer treatment, especially in patient who are castrate-resistant or "CRPC." (ie, the PSA rises despite Lupron or other hormonal agents)

I would make a point to ask your urologist about a treatment plan for the upcoming years -- "what will we do when the PSA rises despite hormonal therapy?"

Options will include adding oral androgen agents (such as casodex) and down the road treatments such as Sipulceul-T (Provenge), chemotherapy, etc.

Best of luck.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center