Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Watchful waiting
An_243566 posted:
Age 62. Second biopsy in 6 years.Recent biopsy revealed 1 spot of 22 areas examined. Gleason = 6, PSA = 5.1 but upwardly trending. Taking Avodart and encouraged by article re: positive outcomes of this approach. The risks associated w/ aggressive treatment options vs. watchful waiting seem too great at this stage. My wife of 34 years agrees, as well as my urologist and PCP.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
I think actived surveillance is an acceptable and appropriate approach to your disease as long as you are followed closely with a defined plan. There are a number of different variations for active surveillance protocols.

Most urologists would have at least one biopsy within a year of the initial diagnosis, regular PSA checks (every 3-4 months), and /- local imaging such as MRI.

In your case, the Avodart should help follow the PSA as well.

Best of luck,
Dr. Tareen

PapaSmirk replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Thanks for your reply, Doctor. My urologist is managing this exactly as you have recommended. My next appt is early May; I'll have a PSA check 1 week before I see him. He did say that MRI will be used as well. Again, thanks for your reply.

PapaSmirk replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Thanks again, Doctor. I failed to mention that I was hospitalized for 4 days w/ an infection 6 days after my biopsy. My white blood cell count was 27. That was not fun. My urologist is w/ Spectrum Health, which is the largest health care provider here in West Michigan.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center