Skip to content
metastatic prostate cancer treatment in very elderly
bluejay07 posted:
I just got word that my 93-yr-old uncle has metastatic prostate cancer in his spine and ribs. He has been on hormone therapy for about 3 years or so and it is no longer working. He will be 94 in May and has a family history of longevity. I don't know his initial PSA or Gleason score; his biopsy was performed when he was 90. He opted for no treatment other than the hormone therapy. His PSA is up now. His wife is in a nursing home, he is sad, losing weight, eating poorly, and has some memory problems. He has always been a rather big man with a good appetite. The family doesn't know what to do now but they fear that chemo and radiation would have too many side effects. Please advise. Thank you.

Jay

Fairwind responded:
Sometimes radiation can be used to stop bone mets from doing terrible, crippling, damage..There are few side-effects with these spot treatments but the cancer must be very small and localized for it to be effective. Much depends on the over-all condition and wishes of the patient at this point...

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center