Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Incontinence after prostatectomy
Palitana posted:
I had radical prostate cancer surgery over 2 years ago and am still suffering from incontinence problem. I am 72 yrs ole and have an active life. Is there any hope for curing this problem? Any suggestions? I have been doing kegels and other pelvic floor exercises, do other exercises very regularly.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
There are number of options for you. Once a person has reached maximum improvement doing pelvic floor exercises it may be time to discuss surgical options with your urologist.

For patients with mild incontinence a male sling is often very successful and can be performed on an outpatient basis.

Similarly, for those with more significant leaking the ultimate treatment may be an artificial urinary sphincter which allows one to use a small pump (placed in the scrotum) to activate and open an artificial sphincter around the urethra. When performed by an experienced surgeon in the correct patient, this can be a very successful treatment.

Best of luck.
Dr. Tareen

Palitana replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Dear Dr. Tareen
Thank you so very much for your suggestions. I will meet my urologist to discuss these options. I think I have waited as long as I can; I need to have a better solution to my problem. Again, many thanks.

wifeof41years replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
So how long should a person wait to have this artificial sphincter surgery done?Its been almost 11 months and no change after millions of kegals.

Age 60 at the time of surgery so we were expecting better results.He also had leaking while the catheter was still in but the Dr removed it at 13 days anyway.Could this be the reason for not having control yet?Very frustrating.The Dr did not do the nerve sparing surgery and he had an enlarged prostate also.Does this make the surgery more difficult?

Can anyone reccomend a REALLY GOOD Dr in Wi to do this surgery.We would certainly not have the local Dr perform this after he made a few mistakes during the 1st surgery.

Thanks for any help or any recommendations for a qualifed Dr in our state.

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center