Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
JUST DIAGNOSED
JDWILSON6969 posted:
I AM 51 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH LOW GRADE PROSTATE CANCER. GLEASON SCORE OF 6...

2 OF 12 BIOPSYS SHOWED MINIMAL GROWTH IN 1 AND SUSPECT IN THE OTHER.

I AM IN THE DECISION MAKING PORTION OF THIS:
1. ROBOTIC NERVE SPARING RADICAL PROSTECTOMY
OR
2. RADIATON SEEDS

MY TAKE ON RADIATION SEEDS IS THAT THE CANCER COULD COME BACK IN SOME GIVEN TIME (SAY 10 YEARS). I WOULD THEN MOVE TO ROBOTIC FOR REMOVAL AT THAT TIME.

1. ARE THE SIDE EFEECTS (INCONTENENCE / ED) RELATIVELY THE SAME FOR BOTH PROCEEDURES. OR DOES ONE PROCEEDURE HAVE A BETTER OUTCOME THAN THE OTHER AS FAR AS ED OR INCONTENCE?

CAN ANYONE THAT HAS HAD TO MAKE THIS DECISION SHED SOME LITE ON THIS FOR ME?

51 AND LOOKING FOR INFO

bogie11 responded:
I suggest that you investigate proton radiation before you make a decision. It has minimal to zero side effects. Surgery often results in impotence and incontinence. Seeds may reduce this effect,but can migrate to other parts of the body. I chose proton and am happy that I did.

JDWILSON6969 replied to bogie11's response:
Thanks I will do this!!

Fairwind replied to JDWILSON6969's response:
Not everyone agrees proton is the answer for prostate cancer..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/proton-therapy-prostate-cancer-side-effects_n_1246873.html

Reddingsailor replied to Fairwind's response:
Proton therapy outcomes are the same as surgery. Check out the literature on this. Many docs have never heard of proton therapy, and others won't recommend it. They recommend surgery, which does have a much higher complication rate than proton. Check out the Loma Linda University Hospital Proton Center's website. There are now proton centers throughout the country.

It has been11 years since my proton treatment, and I remain cancer free. There was no recovery time involved. In fact, I was in much better physical shape after I completed treatment than before. (Loma Linda has a great gym.) insurance co ered everything.

Also, check out the website created by proton patients, www.protonbob.com. It has tons of info about treatment and outcomes of thousands of patients.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center