Skip to content
PSA 7.1
Rob744 posted:
My psa went from 4.6 to7.5 right before biopsy, My results were 6 out of 12 showed cancer all on the left side,score of 4-3 =7 and a T1c ,They have scheuald surgery in 2 months with open surgery to remove the prostate and check the lmph nodes for cancer. Would I be better off with radiation or surgery please help.

Fairwind responded:
How old are you? YOU are the one who chooses the treatment you will receive, not "they"..Success with surgery is very doctor dependent. Be sure you have a good one. Most prostate surgery today is done roboticly. But the surgeons who still use the open method do just as well...Have you read Pat Walsh's book "Guide to surviving prostate cancer" ? "Winning the battle against prostate cancer" by Gerald Chodak is another good one. You need to learn all you can about the various treatments and the advantages and disadvantages of all of them..

Reddingsailor responded:
Check out protonbob.com for information about proton radiation therapy. I had this intervention 11 years ago, and it was a great experience with no pain, no recovery time, and wonderful support. The complication rate for proton is very low, and cure rate is as good as surgery. Most insurance covers it . In the middle of treatment I hiked 16 miles at high altitude in the Sierra Nevada of California on a weekend. Most docs will not tell you about this treatment and will push surgery. My urologist told me that I would die if I had proton treatment. I had done my research and went for it. I'm glad I did!

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center