Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Brachytherapy
An_244208 posted:
My husband had the seeds implanted on Jan. 19, 2012. He had an indwelling catheter in his bladder during the procedure. 29 needle insertions, 99 seeds implanted. The nurses took the cath out at 5:30pm and he was unable to void. He would get an erection every time he tries, now this has been going on for 2 months, cath in and out. I was straight cathing him for awhile, but he had to much residule urine in the bladder so indwelling in again. Had infection, was on Macrobid, then Cipro which finally cleared infection up. Every time the doctor removes the foley, he has thesame proble. Erection and he can't void.. The cancer center and his MD have never heard of this problem, and can give us no answers. Does anyone have any ideas? Could the insertion of the needles hit a nerve or something which would cause this problem? It has happened since the day of Brachtherapy WHY. Thank You for any help you can give us. The doctors here are stumped. He jhad a cystoscopic and it showed no structual damage.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
That is an interesting case -- I also have not heard of a connection between erections and urinary retention following brachytherapy. I wonder if they are unrelated and it is just coincidence. Does he urinate perfectly fine up until the point that he gets an erection? Does the erection go spontaneously in a timely fashion?

It is not uncommon to have urinary retention after any procedure involving the prostate/bladder and ideally this will resolve over time. If not already started, would consider asking your urologist about Flomax and possibly a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor (Proscar/Avodart). In the meantime, intermittent straight cathing is probably the best option.

bear2008 replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Yes he has been on Flomax since 1/19/12. erection began immediately, catheter out at 5:30 pm first voiding 7:15 pm on the 19th. erection starts immediately less in a couple of minutes, voids small amt, 100cc or less, straight cath 200cc to 600cc all the time. Now on predisone 10 mgm 5 days, 5 mgm 3 days which will end on March 28th then we will call the urologist again to see what course of treatment will be next. I will ask the urologist about the meds you suggested. Thank You. I am going to e-mail Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, and Loma Linda to see if they have ever heard of this problem.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center