Skip to content
Age 40 PSA 12.7 DRE smooth
fishing1971 posted:
I am a healthy fit person, age 40, exercise 3 times a week, drink 4-5 cups of coffee and a glass or two of wine every day. Love extremely spicy food. I always suspect that something is not right down there since it takes a few seconds for me to go, especially in public bathrooms (but always attribute it to be psychological) since teens. No family history of prostate cancer.

I was shocked to see my PSA level of 12.6 after an routine annual exam. My doctor put me on Cipro for two weeks, then I saw an urologist. DRE was smooth although larger than normal for a person of my age. The second PSA came back to be 12.7. He recommended biopsy this Friday.

I read in an article that the second PSA should be taken 4-6 weeks after the first one. Mine was taken only two weeks after the first one. Is this still the recommended practice? Should I wait 4 more weeks for another PSA test?

My urologist did only the total PSA stest, not the free-PSA test. Is the free-PSA test still useful and recommended?

I also read somewhere that physically agitating an organ (poking needles into prostate), can sometimes lead to the development of cancer. Is this true?

Should I go ahead and do the biopsy? Are there other things I can/should do to avoid biopsy? Or if it is unavoidable, things I can/should to do before it?

I am interested to hear your story. Thanks for your advice.

bogie11 responded:
I would have the biopsy done. I have never heard of poking with a needle causing cancer. I think that the urologist should numb the area before using the needle so that it is not painful. I had no pain at all when I had mine.

fishing1971 replied to bogie11's response:
I did more research on the topic of whether to get a biopsy. I am leaning toward NOT to get biopsy this Friday. I want to rule out that my condition is not caused by prostatitis or BPH first.

I haven't read the book "Surviving Prostate Cancer Without Surgery" by Bradley Hennenfen (2005). But one of the Amazon reviewer (Gaetan Lion) said about the book: "He [Hennenfen> indicates later in the book that biopsies may cause in certain cases the cancer to spread."

I am a scientist and I remember reading some research papers on this hypothesis, although not 100% proven, the evidences suggest that it is true...at least under certain conditions.

scarub2000 responded:
Hey man you need to get the biopsy it is the only way to find out if you have prostrate cancer and if you do have surgery to have it removed from your body. I just did that very thing. If you have surgery opt for the Da Vinci Roboat. I had my surgery 2/16/2012 and I am back to work feeling great still have a leakage problem but it gets better every day and it is way better than having cancer.

Reddingsailor responded:
I am an 11 year PC survivor who was treated with proton radiation with nearly no side effects. With PC, early diagnosis and treatment is key. Don't hesitate to get a biopsy now. Don't worry about the biopsy causing your cancer to spread. It's really no big deal and is not painful. What matters most is that you find out what's going on. Most biopsies come back negative. If yours is positive, check out all the options for treatment. Most urologists will recommend surgery. Fact is, outcomes for Brachytherapy, proton beam radiation, and surgery are statistically identical. Surgery results in greater numbers of complications than protons. There are now several proton centers nationwide that treat PC. Most insurance companies pay for it.

Please let me know what happens. Best of luck!

fishing1971 replied to Reddingsailor's response:
Thanks bogie11, scarub2000, and reddingsailor. My decision about whether to get a biopsy right away or wait a few weeks kept flipping until the very last moment. One night I would be 99.99% sure about not doing it right away, next morning I would decide I should. Eventually, the denial, anger, depression, and the anxiety of not knowing that have paralyzed my life finally convinced me to go ahead and do it. Now, I am just waiting for the result.

Reddingsailor replied to fishing1971's response:
Good for you! I'm glad you had that biopsy. You are now in what I experienced as the most difficult time - awaiting the results of my biopsy. Dealing with the unknown was the worst.

As has been said before, if it turns out you have an early stage non-aggressive cancer, you have time to weigh the various treatment modalities. If you caught it early, chances are you are going to be fine. Just look at the complication rates for the various treatments and select one that's right for you.

If you are interested in looking into proton, check out www.protonbob.com. That site was created by and for proton patients and contains loads of info. Also, I recommend the book, "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer", by Robert J. Markini.

Hang in there!

Fairwind responded:
The book you want to read is 'Guide to surviving prostate cancer" by Dr. Patrick Walsh..

The only thing CERTAIN about proton treatment is that it costs twice as much and your insurance company will squawk about it..They can't demonstrate it works ant better than other radiation treatments..

If your biopsy is positive, then your Gleason score becomes the important factor (combined with that 12.7 PSA) that will determine your treatment options...The proton providers usually get shy when confronted with high-risk patients..

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center