Skip to content
Scared Teenager Who Thinks He Waited Too Long
Retnuh1 posted:
Okay, I'm a 15 years old male. For a few months (maybe more, maybe like half a year, maybe more) I've been having pains in my lower abdomen. The area right above my penis but below my waist. I didn't think much of it and I don't know why, but it would hurt really bad but go away after I was done making a bowel movement. Now, it's outside the bathroom. I have pain when I masturbate/ejaculate. Now my left testicle hurts sometimes too. I went to the doctors and he just massaged around the area to try and find anything but couldn't so he asked me to urinate in a cup, but I didn't have to go, so then I went and got blood drawn (I think it's called bloodwork?) and my doctor said in two weeks to come back. I'm afraid I have testicular or prostate cancer and I've let it go on to long and it spread or some serious thing and I'll die. And is two weeks too long to wait for him to figure it out? Or will he call me if it is cancer before the two weeks to let me know immediately? I'm so scared and I don't want to die or have cancer and I need some reassurance or insight or SOMETHING. I don't know if I waited too long and it's uncurable and I'll die... I don't want to!!! Help!

Thanks!

billh99 responded:
I have never heard of any one your age having prostate cancer. And in fact is rare in anyone under 40.

And is two weeks too long to wait for him to figure it out?

If you have a cancer, and that is a big if, they are slow growing so that 2 weeks won't make a difference.

But I want to warn you that know, that in most cases, blood test won't detect cancer. But it might give clues as to more specific test to do.

If the test show something that need immediate looking at they should call you, but it does not always happen. Some times no body looks at them until you come back in.

My recommendation is chill out. Nothing drastic is going to happen in the next 2 week.

But if you are worried enough call tghe doctors office and ask to speak to his nurse. And ask them if there is anything blood test that require attention before 2 weeks.

And when you go back drink plenty of water and resist going to the bathroom so that you can urinate. If the problem is in the urinary tract the urine sample will give lot more information than blood work.

And when you go back talk to the doctor about what your fears are. Ask him about what he is looking for in the test and what he has rules out.

Hopefully you have a doctor that will be communicative and open with you. Have one like that will help relieve your anxiety.

billh99 responded:
PS let us know how it goes.

And if you have any concerns ask us.

Retnuh1 replied to billh99's response:
Could it also be testicular cancer? I don't know. I'm just really scared. I'll try to chill but the pain just brings the fear right back.

And if the bloodwork tests don't show up with anything, what's my next move???

billh99 replied to Retnuh1's response:
And if the bloodwork tests don't show up with anything, what's my next move???

It is my understanding that testicular cancer is found by physical exam. The doctor has already did that when you saw him.

Depending on what the blood test show and his suspicions from the pattern of your symptoms and what he has seen on the physical test he might order some other test such as an ultrasound or CT scan.

Your move will be to be open with the doctor about your concerns and to ask question such as what he has found so far and what he expecting to find in the test.

Personally I have found that worrying about what is going does not do any good. But that knowing what is going relieves my anxiety.

Even when it is not the best of news, knowing the details, I can handle it.

And I am sure that you can also.

Retnuh1 replied to billh99's response:
Thank you.

I have a bit of an update. Today I had to run a mile for gym and it was a little bit of a struggle (keep in mind I'm not too in shape anyway) and a little while after I got water and chugged a lot of it and it hurt going down, like my insides. And my throat is sort of clogging a little.

What's happening? Not to mention my stomach insides feel a little weird.

billh99 replied to Retnuh1's response:
I am not a medical professional. Just that I have a few more laps around the track then you. OK, lets me honest, MANY, MANY MORE LAPS <G>.

And while a doctor does respond in this forum from time to time no one can get you what is happening over the internet.

Call your doctors office and tell them about the new symptoms and ask if you can be seen sooner.

If you have sever pain, changes in bowel movements, not able to swallow, or are throwing up go to the ER.

Note - I have no idea of what you have or that you might get those symptoms. They are just symptoms that need to be seen right away and not wait for the next doctors appointment.

billh99 responded:
Just wondering how you where doing?

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center