Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Urethral stricture question
Reddingsailor posted:
It's been 11 years since I received proton radiation therapy for PC, and have had virtually no side effects. I remain cancer free. Yesterday I was diagnosed with a urethral stricture that is likely a late occurring effect of the radiation. My urologist is recommending dilation followed by surgical ablation of the stricture.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Have you needed to have multiple dilations over time? Did this result in incontinence? Has other surgery been recommended?

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
This can be a difficult problem to treat. Often the course of future treatments and need for further dilations depends on the length and severity of the stricture. In many cases a simple/single dilation is enough.

For more significant strictures greater than 2cm it may require more than just dilation, although most experts would attempt a simple dilation /- cutting of the stricture. (can be done with laser or "cold knife")

Incontinence is always a potential risk -- we see this more commonly in men who have had prostatectomy and it is the stricture that is helping keep them dry. In general, it is not common for simple dilation to result in significant incontinence.

Best of luck,
Dr. Tareen

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center