Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
5 years after treatment
An_244546 posted:
My husband has been treated over 5 years ago for prostate cancer. He had surgery, radiation and is doing hormone treatments for his cancer. The doctors have been having quiet about what we should be worrying about or when we need to be seen other than the regular testing.

He has been having various issues over the years. Two years ago, he was having blood in his urine. Until we went to the third doctor, who finally did a scope and saw he was having some radiation problems that he took care of.

Now, he has been having some bowel frequency issues. Some discomfort before needing to go to the bathroom. Should he be worried? I think he should be seen but will any doctor take this seriously.

Our regular doctor tells us to come in if he is having back pain that is ongoing. My husband lifts boxes 5 days a week. He is always complaining about back pain.

I am worried. Is there any test he can do to see what may be going on?

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Hematuria (blood in the urine) and bowel frequency are relatively common after radiation. Sometimes they occur immediately, but often it is several years later that these issues arise. The treatment for this is difficult, because the reason for the symptoms is radiation damage. We typically attempt to treat the symptoms as they arise.

Back pain is very common in all adults. A simple bone scan can help ease fears about whether this pain is from metastatic prostate cancer or more a product of muscoloskeletal pain that many adults experience.

The PSA in your husband's case will also be a good marker of disease.

Best of luck,
Dr. Tareen

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center