Skip to content
When is cancer 100% gone after a radical prostectomy
Jim_T posted:
I believe I have read that after 5-6 years of near zero PSAs that one is cancer clean.

Is this true?

Take the Poll

When is one cancer free after a radical prostectomy?
  • 5-6 years of zero PSAs
  • Over 5 years
  • never
vote
View Poll Results

fourpenny responded:
I was 68 when my urologist reported my PSA was 7.9. It had gone up quickly over only a few months. He gave me a few of the usual choices. Among the first thoughts I had were my Dad and Brother both had prostate cancer and didn't do the surgery. I chose to do the surgery asap. Since right after surgery and up to now (two years later) my PSA is Zero. I feel fortunate that I am healthy at 70.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi Jim_T, - Technically, a surgically treated Prostate Cancer (PCa) patient is considered Cancer-free as long as his PSA remains "clinically" undetectable, which is any reading LESS THAN 0.1 ng/ml (<0.1).

Statistically, about 50% of all recurrences occur within the first 2 to 3 years following surgery. After 5 years of survival, about 90% of eventual recurrences have already occurred. By 10 years, the likelihood of recurrence is so small (far less than 1%) that it does not impact a straight horizontal line on a graph.

I hope this helps! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Woodworking57 replied to az4peaks2's response:
I would like to know what you think? I have had prostrate cancer 6 years and afterwards my PSA stayed 0.1 or below, where it is supposed to be. Now however it is staying right at 0.25. Do you think I should be concerned or just plain worried about it? My doctor told me to wait and see and have rechecks every 6 months now instead of 1 year apart. Does it sound l my cancer has returned to you?

Woodworking57 replied to Woodworking57's response:
What I meant to tell you is that I had my prostrate removed 6 years ago due to cancer. Please add this to my other reply. Thanks.

az4peaks2 replied to Woodworking57's response:
Hi Woodworking, - Without more information, like a PSA post treatment listing of all dates and readings I can't directly comment on your specific situation.

In GENERAL, however, confirmed PSA readings that exceed 0.1 to 0.2 ng/ml are highly suspicious of a recurrence, which is further supported if 3 consecutive PSA results (preferably from the same Lab) indicate a rising trend.

Continued monitoring at 3 to 6 month intervals are often suggested to establish such trends. If a recurrence appears after 2 to 3 years following surgery, it may be a recurrence that is "localized" and could POSSIBLY be successfully treated with Salvage Radiation Therapy (SRT) but this needs to be determined by professional advisors. The post surgical Pathology Report may hold important information that should be reviewed.

Hormone Therapy (HT) is not usually a curative solution and does depress actual PSA readings, making monitoring to determine recurrence more difficult and unreliable.

Good luck and don't hesitate to consider a second opinion on what appropriate action should be taken. I am not a Physician! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center