Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What should I be asking the doctor when being told biopsy results are not good
An_244610 posted:
I got a call from the nurse telling me to come in next week as the doctor wants to "discuss my biopsy results which weren't NORMAL"

What should I make sure to discuss and/ or ask him.? Do those of you who have had this conversation have anything that in hindsight you would of questioned your doctor about. Also how accurate are biopsy results ( he did a needle 14 point biopsy)

billh99 responded:
While it is possible for the pathologist misread the samples it is not common.

The real problem with biopsies is that they can miss the PC or not see the worse spots.

When you see the doctor you want to get a copy of the pathology report. And ask him what stage it is.

Don't expect to make a decision at this point. A lot depends on the the details of the pathology report and also your age, health, family history etc.

Also your current PSA reading and how much it has changed.

After you have digested what he said and done some research on your condition expect to go back at least one time or maybe several to discuss your options.

Remember, in most cases PC is very slow growing and you have months and even years to make a decision.

Fairwind responded:
Pick up a copy of "Guide to surviving prostate cancer" by Patrick Walsh so you will have a better understanding of what the doctor will be talking about....

Get a copy of the pathology report. If it's Gleason 6 in just one or two cores, ask for a second opinion of the pathology by an expert lab. Your treatment will largely be based on the Gleason score so it's important they get it right..With more extensive or higher Gleason number, a second opinion is less necessary.

Your age, general health and PSA number are also important factors in determining what course of treatment is right for you...There will be more tests and scans to better define your condition before treatment is started....

Reddingsailor responded:
It is most important that you review all of your options in the event you are diagnosed with PC. In my case (Gleason 6 with a T1-c tumor), my urologist recommended surgery. Meanwhile, my GP suggested I look into proton radiation, as it was his experience that patients who undergo this treatment have significantly fewer complications than those who have surgery. I reviewed professional journal articles myself and discovered that all treatment modalities are equally effective.

When I informed my urologist of my decision, he tried to scare me by stating that proton therapy was experimental, and that "you will die".

I underwent proton beam therapy at Loma Linda Medical Center in Southern California 11 years ago, and have been cancer free. I have had minimal side effects. Check out the proton patients' website www.protonbob.com for more information.

ttwood52 responded:
I might suggest a couple of things: First write down you questions, go over them with him and write down the answers. if you don't understand the answer, don't be afraid to tell him you don't understand and ask him to rephrase it so you have a better understanding.
Second - go with your spouse/partner or a good friend you can trust. You are in a heighten state of anxiety, you may hear what they say, but not remember it after your appointment. The other person maybe able to take notes for you to go over after the appointment.
On Prostate.net under the heading of Prostate Cancer they have a list of questions to ask your doctor, check them out and use them.
Remember you don't have to make an immediate decision (generally). Mull it over and get back to them, ask for a second opinion. Keep all copies of all of your tests, so that you have them personally and can take a copy of them with you when you talk to other doctors or radiologists.
Hope that helps!

yodelalong replied to Reddingsailor's response:
Thank you my Gleason score pretty much mirroed yours as did my urologist's response. I was looking at the stuff on treatments and was interested in proton treatment as it seemed to indicate fewer complications than regular radiation. Your response has been helpful.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Essiac Tea
In June, 2006 I was DX'd with PCa and formulated my own diet, opting to go the Watchful Waiting route. The diet was replete with herbs, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center