Skip to content
Marriage and prostate cancer
Anon_140220 posted:
My husband had a radical prostate removal in June of 2009. Our sex life is null and void, and he has no interest. (I married my husband in 2010, after being a widow for 9 years). The fact that our lives are "sex free" has had an impact on me. My husband is not interested in trying a pump, or any enhancing drugs. I believe he is dealing with this emotionally, and has no consideration for my feelings. He can look at pics of nude women, reads erotic stories and yet he has no physical desire for me. We sleep in separate rooms, which at times I don't mind. However...something has got to give. Are there any couples out there who are experiencing this? He hugs and kisses me and tells me he loves me...and I know he does. So...is he depressed or does he just not "feel" the desires?

Fairwind responded:
Perhaps he had no interest BEFORE the operation and his marriage to you...Maybe you need to sit down and have a long talk with him...How old is he? You?

Anon_140220 replied to Fairwind's response:
You may have a point there. He is 62 and I am 60. I believe he had interest before his surgery; he was able to "perform" sexually- although, at times, he did experience ED. The fact that he currently experiences ED all the time, he pulls away and maybe thinks the situation will go away? I don't know. I have read that once a man has his prostate removed, the sex drive vanishes. So...it remains a mystery to me.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center