Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pain after prostate surgery
GlennRJ posted:
I had prostate surgery 4 weeks ago. I continue to have pain in my buttucks area when sitting. Has anyone else had such a problem for this long recovery time?

twalmart responded:
Yes. I am on 4 1/2 weeks and have had similar problems. A lot of mine had to do with how long I had foley catheter in. It is getting better. I've read that a lot of men experience this. I believe it is a matter of the attachment of the bladder to the urethra being so close to the rectum.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
This is not uncommon after surgery. Many men also report odd symptoms or discomfort when having bowel movements. Typically these symptoms resolve over a course of weeks and in some cases months. If the symptoms worsen or persist over the long term you may want to consult your surgeon.

MONTMKTDME responded:
I had pain the same as yours, was very frustrated, and wondered if it was ever going to go away. After 2 months it is gone. It kind of went quickly the last week. I expected to be back 100% after 2 weeks. I was wrong. To get healthy takes time, sometimes longer than others, but be patient (I heard this so many times I could spit) it will pass. Walk plenty if you can and you will notice changes. It is nice to finally be able to sit without that ache.

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center