Skip to content
Post Brachytherapy Penis Pain during Urination
PetePayne posted:
CAUTION: you may want to consult with your doctor first before trying this. Each man's prostate cancer stage and treatment may make this solution not right nor safe for you.
After brachytherapy, my penis burned like during urination like I was peeing jalapeno sauce with pins and needles.
At first, I thought the pH difference between blood (in urine) and normal urine was the cause.
After the blood cleared from my urine, I still felt the burning-pins-and-needles pain during urination.
But then I realized, what is the difference in the urinary tract from bladder to penis? Why does the pain only happen in my penis and not between the base of the penis and the bladder?
The difference is TEMPERATURE. The urinary tract temperature is at or close to core body temperature from the base of the penis to the bladder. Obviously, the penis temperature is lower because it is external to the body.
Pain Relief, YES!!! is to put ice cubes in a zip lock baggy and put the ice bag below your penis during urination. The urethra /urinary path is located at the bottom of the penis.
For those with urinary flow problems, this may be a balancing act between urine flow and cold pain relief, since the cold can constrict the urethra in the penis. If the flow stops, take the ice bag off, reapply the ice bag when flow starts back up.

boppy48 responded:
I have had the same burning/pain which started about 5 months after implant. I will be trying this therapy today and will post a result here.
Thanks for the advice. I have researched everything but never thought about the temperature idea. We'll see.

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center