Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Prostate cancer gone, but pain is terrible
vasti123 posted:
Hi there, My father is 58 years old, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago. PSA was over 11 and Gleason was over 8. They treated him with Brachy, hormones and radiation. after the 12 months his levels were normal and he was in remission.

However since then he has been in agonising pain. He has burning sensation in the penis, testicles, anus. He has problems with uranting, recently he cant keep it in and is urinating without notice. he also has blood in his urine. this pain in constant, daily and very sever.

They have been back to the doctor (both urologist and oncologist) several times and have been given medication that ranges from pain meds to antidepressants. However their standard response :"'it is because of the radiation treatment''

I am just wondering if any of you kind gentleman experienced the same problems and what advise there might be.

Could there be something else wrong?

I am so worried about him

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Unfortunately, these can be common symptoms experienced after radiation treatment -- in particular when brachytherapy and radiation are both given in combination. (as is often done for high risk disease like your father had) With radiation one potential downside is that there is typically some "collateral damage" to organs around the prostate (namely the rectum and bladder). This explains some of the pain symptoms in the rectum and perineum and the issues with urination.

There's no magic treatment for radiation cystitis or radiation proctitis. Typically it involves conservative treatment with medications and it sounds like your doctors are doing all the appropriate things.

In some severe cases I have done a more aggressive workup for these symptoms which includes a cystoscopy to look in the bladder for potential brachytherapy seeds (unlikely at 3 years after treatment) or an MRI/CT to rule out an abscess.
These are extremely rare, however.

Best of luck.

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center