Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
problem urinating
twalmart posted:
I'm 54 and had a radical prostatectomy 4 1/2 weeks ago. I had a foley catheter for 3 weeks. When taken out I went about 8 hrs and then could not urinate. After it foley was put in again for 4 days and removed I went 48 hours. It has now been removed, but I had to self cath after 9 hours, and then again after 8 hours. Can anyone advise as to if they've had this problem? I have NO problem with leakage at all.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Its good that you don't have any leakage this early after surgery.

I'm not sure what to make of your symptoms without knowing more about the surgery. In some cases with prolonged catheter drainage it takes a while for the bladder to "re-train" itself and start cycling again.

In other cases, some men with longstanding obstruction from an enlarged prostate have a very trabeculated bladder which doesn't contract well. Your urologist could probably give you an idea if you may be at risk for this based on your pre-operative urinary symptoms.

Hopefully the situation will resolve itself soon. If not, disuss with your surgeon whether a cystoscopy should be done to rule out any anatomical reasons for obstruction. (bladder neck contracture or stricture -- although this is unlikely to occur so early after surgery)

Best of luck.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center