Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried Daughter!
An_244867 posted:
Hello WebMDers-

I recently found out that my dad is having some problems associated with prostate cancer, and it's basically put me into full panic mode. Can someone tell me what this all means? He's 50 years old, in good shape, and has no family history of prostate cancer. However, over the past seven years he has gotten his PSA levels checked 4 times, and each time they've increased. (.9, 1.0, 1.9, 2.3 most recently). He is also having significant problems urinating, so his general practitioner did a DRE which was normal. He has an appointment scheduled with a urologist, but it's 2 months away. Any information is helpful. Thank you!

An_244867 responded:
I forgot to add that a year or so ago he was having some sharp flank pain which they never could find the reason for. He got an MRI (?) to look at his abdomen and nothing was found. Obviously this would only be a concern regarding metastatic cancer, but it was never resolved and I thought I'd mention it.

survivingcancer responded:
Dear, worried daughter,

although you have reason to worry, it sounds like your dad's situation may not be severe. It sounds like he is on top of it and is headed in the right direction. Since the DRE was normal, he has a lot going for him. My husband has had a radical prostratectomy, and his DRE had not been normal in many years. The VA doctors did not act on his rising PSA either, which lead to full blown cancer. His PSA was up and down for yrs between 6 and 7, then upon presurgery it was 8...the important thing is for him to see the urologist (2 months is ok) as planned and if he suggests a biopsy then have him go for it...that is the only way to know for sure, if cancer is present. If caught early, there are so many options other than surgery to remove the prostate....good luck to you and your father.

ElizabethTracy replied to survivingcancer's response:
survivingcancer & worried daughter:

Thank you for starting this thread. My father was going through a similar situation and this was very helpful to me.

Wishing you all the best of health & life.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center