Skip to content
Robotic Assisted Prostatectomy
Muscogee posted:
56 y/o native american liiving in Oregon. I had my first PSA 8 years ago after my Dad was dianosed with prostate cancer. He was treated with external beam radiation and this week his PSA was 1.33. My PSA was 2.7. in 2004. In December 2011 my PSA was 5.9 and my doctor felt a lump during my annual exam, so he suggested a biopsy, which was positive and I had a gleason score of 6. After reviews of all the treeatments available and many discussions with my spouse, other survivors, etc, I decided on robotic surgery. I had my prostate removed on Monday 4/9/12, and was home the next day. It is now day 9, and I am feeling no pain anywhere. The only real discomfort is my catheter, which will reamain in until 4/24/12. We are a very happily married couple with a avid sex life, still 3 times per week, so, it was not an easy decision, risking my love life to get cut on. I read a lot of books, viewed a lot of options on You Tube, and they helped me feel comfortable about my decision. I was awakend this morning with a pain in my penis and when I stood up, I understood why. I had an erection! It was painful, and I was happy! I know it may be a long road to full recovery, and I also know, my surgeon listened to us, when we told him how important our love life is to us. He assured me after the surgery that my nurovascular bundle was spared, and he only used a minimal amount of heat to seal off any bleeding. My mobility is real good. I go for short walks and an occasional long walk, which helps me stay active. I can shower, use the toilet and have become pretty proficient at changing from my large urinary bag to my leg bag. The right pants and underwear make a huge difference in comfort, while you have a catheter in place. Anyone, please feel free to contact me and I can tell you more of my experience, and pay it forward, for all those that have helped me with what they learned. Remember, you are not alone!

billh99 responded:
I has robotic 1/7/11 and had similar results.

Home the next day. No pain, just a tender gut when I would get up and down or go up the stairs too often.

The catheter was out in one week. About 8 days later I was basically dry. And at 10 days I woke with an erection.

survivingcancer responded:
OH YOU ARE SO VERY BLESSED!!!! My husband had his robotic prostrate surgery in July of 2010 @ UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham). His PSA was 7 and then became an 8, his gleason score was 4 4=8, The seminle vessicles were involved, as well as two lymph nodes. He spared the nurovascular bundle on one side was spared, but not the other. After 36 radiation treatments, he is on the antigen deprivation shots (hormone blocking) for another year at least. Therefore, we don't know for sure if he will be completely impotent or or not, He is 63 and we had only been married for 5 months when the cancer was discovered. He has tried the pump and the shots in the penis, of which none work adequately. He is severely incontinent and has had surgery for the artificial spinchter, which malfunctioned when activated, and he had to have surgery again to have it removed. Now we are right back to sever incontinent again...it has been pure HELL, not only for our love life but mentally and physically....with not a lot to look forward to unless God heals him....good luck and happy marriage...count your blessings...tell your wife I said that she is on blessed woman!!!!

wifeof41years replied to survivingcancer's response:
I agree,you have been very lucky!!
"Survivngcancer"..Best of luck to you and hopes for big improvement!The artificial spinchter didnt work??Oh no..We were thinking of that since my hubby had open radical surgery on June 2nd and is still incontinent.Very little improvement in the last 10 months.He was only a 6.one core of 12,enlarged prostate.PSA 7.9 on Avodart..The Dr did not spare the nerve bundles and removed everything.Yesterday he went for fis PSA check-up and after the 1st 2 0PSA..it is now .07..Next check-up in Nov..No idea why it went from 0 to .07 with no prostate! Dr said NOT to worry but still its hard not to think of it.Sure hope things improve.I think your outcome really depends on a good Dr with LOTS of experience.You cant go back and do over once its done.Very disappointed in the local Dr he had.My hubby is 61 now.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center