Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What is the precentage of recovery after prostate cancer
Aminaj posted:
My father was diagones with prostate cancer.It is the early stage. He is African American with high blood pressure. What is some the ways he treat this disease to prolong life?

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
This question would require a lot more information regarding your father's age, current health, Gleason grade of cancer, PSA, etc.

After getting the above information, one can better decide on 1. radical prostatectomy 2. radiation, 3. active surveillance 4 cryotherapy

Best of luck

BusyHealthyBee responded:
I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Aminaj. There are few options for tx including surgery, radiation with molded prostate as well as the new high frequency ultrasound treatment.You need to discuss with your father's urologist to determine the best option for him with his blood pressure and his findings. I suggest you follow this topic (http://bit.ly/ISME2l) and ask specific questions when needed.

Good luck!

BusyHealthyBee responded:
Check out Dr. Tran's answer online: http://bit.ly/IMqET2

I find it a great source to ask real doctors questions and get a 2nd or 3rd opinions. Best of luck!

buckking replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
My husband just had prostate biopsy. All 12 sites were positive for cancer Gleason scales of 9 and 10. He has had negative bone scan and negative abdominal and pelvic cat scans. His PSA was 18 and has some symptoms of difficulty with urination. There is a plan for a radical prostetectomy in 2 weeks. However, we were told that if lymph nodes were postivie on frozen section the prostate would not be removed but lymph nodes would be followed by radiation and hormone therapy. When we asked why prostate would not be removed we were told the benefits would not our weigh the risks. We do not understand. Is this typical treatment?

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center