Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hormone treatment for prostate cancer
An_245028 posted:
My dad has been diagnosed with PC and has been prescribed hormone therapy. Any inputs of how painful the injection can be vis a vis Testis removal procedure. ANy help greatly appreciated.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Typically the injections are tolerated pretty well. The injections can also come in various doses which may vary from 3 months to 6 months or more.

Orchiectomy is done much less commonly these days for various reasons. For many men, it is the psychological impact of having both testicles removed.

One issue to consider is that with the injections the patient can be put on intermittent androgen therapy (given drug holidays) where as the orchiectomy is permanent and not reversible.

7chris responded:
In my experience, hormone therapy is not always painful. In my case, I think it was the 12-sample biopsy that started the pain. It was then made worse by hormone therapy. However, when I stopped that therapy, six weeks later the pain vanished. Unfortunately it got worse again after radiotherapy, and I still have it, a year later. The oncologist and urologist feigned surprise, but I have since learned that my symptoms are very common. Basically it's damage. However, everyone is different. Personally, I wouldn't recommend testis removal, nor prostate removal, come to that. Neither op guarantees an all-clear.
The least damaging is probably the pills. They reckon they're only effective for five years, and make you impotent, but it depends on the level of cancer. Most men die not knowing they ever had it. It's a slow cancer — if you're lucky

sumanitha replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Thanks Doctor for the reply

sumanitha replied to 7chris's response:
Thanks for the input

Fairwind replied to sumanitha's response:
I have had 2 Eligard injections (6 month) and there was no pain associated with them..With "hormone treatment", the side-effects of castrate level testosterone are the big issue. But there was no "pain" involved....

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center