Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Prostate removal vs radiation seed
mediumgrade posted:
What criteria should be used to decide whether to have prostate removal or radiation. What are the pros and cons of each?

bogie11 responded:
Get a copy of Bob Marckini's book: You Can Beat Prostate Cancer. It gives all of the pros and cons of the various options. I did and chose proton radiation three years ago. I'm very glad that I did. No side effects for me.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
There's 2 things that matter:

1. Efficacy (how well does it work -- ie, likelihood of cure

2. Side effects: (broken down into two main issues: -- urinary side effects and sexual side effects)

Using that as a guide, I typically ask each patient to look at their age, overall health, and type of cancer (Gleason score, PSA, etc) and make a list of pros and cons for each treatment.

While is is very important to choose an experienced surgeon or radiation oncologist (depending on which treatment you choose), even in the most perfect situation side effects can occur.

Another helpul tool is to use one of many nomograms or prediction tools that are online. You can typically plug in your cancer details (PSA, stage, etc.) and many of these nomograms can give you 5 and 10 year cancer specific survival rates.

best of luck,
BT

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Vacuum Pump
Radical prostate surgery 7 years ago. Now 67. Have used the injection with success. Best overall is the manual vacuum pump that I currently ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center