Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
USPSTF recommendations
ataraxy posted:
According to http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20120521/us-panel-dont-get-psa-prostate-cancer-test the USPSTF has just confirmed its recommendation against routine PSA testing.

While that may be an appropriate decision given the evidence that we currently have, what concerns me is that they have not said what men in higher risk groups should now be doing to monitor their situation.

1. Why does the USPSTF expect men to pay any attention to their recommendation if they don't provide any advice on what to do to replace PSA testing?

2. What is the advice for men in higher risk groups if they accept the recommendation that PSA testing is inappropriate?

jlgetch responded:
And why does the USPSTF not deal in conventional wisdom? The facts are that since the PSA test was introduced, it has caused an increase in information/knowledge about Prostate Cancer, and that has led to a decrease in deaths from Prostate Cancer (just take a look at ACS statistics over the past 20 years).
There are many of us that have or are "suffering" the effects of Prostate Cancer treatments (incontinence, impotence, etc.), but all of us are STILL ALIVE! And many more of us would likely have died of this disease if it were not for early detection.
Until the USPSTF or others come up with an ACCEPTABLE alternative to PSA/DRE testing for early detection (in other words, a test that can accurately determine the aggressiveness of the cancer detected), let the USPSTF sit down and shut up! The decision to test or not, and the discussion regarding accuracy of the test and significance of the diagnosis is best left to the individual and his Doctor.
Don't scare men who have never had a PSA test out of having one - they make it seem like if you have a PSA/DRE test, you are going to immediately suffer ED and/or incontinence!
The PSA test combined with a DRE is the ONLY method currently available for early detection of Prostate Cancer. And everyone tells us that early detection is the best answer to preventing death from cancer.

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center