Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
incontinence after radical Prostatectomy
transyst posted:
I recently had a radical prostatectomy and was unable to urinate after the catheter was removed. My urologist said that I had scar tissue so he cleaned that out. Now, I drip urine like a faucet that needs a new washer. I have no "stream"; no pressure; and my bladder never fills. I read about incontinence, but none of the descriptions fit my particular symptoms. Has anyone else been through this and what can you tell me? Thanks for any information.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Sorry to hear that. I do, however, always tell patients that it can take up to a year to recover urinary control and that in the first few months all bets are off as to what "normal" bladder function is.

If things don't improve closer to the one year mark you can ask your urologist if urodynamics is appropriate and afterwards there would be a number of surgical and non-surgical options to address the urinary function.

best of luck

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center