Skip to content
blood work done
miguelito51 posted:
it's been a year and 1/2 since i've had my prostectomy, blood work done at 3 months - 6 months after...psa 0...just had things checked again - psa .1 after said year and1/2...while this level is negligible per se, it still concerns me a bit - if in fact all traces of cancer were removed, should the level still be 0? some commentary would be appreciated - thank you

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi miguelito, - There really is no such thing as A detectable PSA of "0" in PSA readings, although the term "zero" is often carelessly used when reporting such results.

PSA results are always limited by the reliability threshold of the assay (test) material used to measure its presence in the bloodstream. Such threshold limitations vary, due to the KNOWN sensitivity level of the manufacturer's specific assay material used. So, TECHNICALLY, there cannot be such thing as a biological "0" result.

Depending on the tests known sensitivity level, results that are below reliable ng/ml level (0.1, 0.01 or 0.001 as examples) are clearly identified by placing a "LESS THAN" icon designation (<), immediately preceding the stated numerical result. EXAMPLE: <0.1 ng/ml means that any reading obtained was either below the tests reliability level.

Therefore, when the term "zero" is used, it refers to the "clinical" definition of the term, which is USUALLY any finding below 0.1 ng/ml on the Standard PSA test,. Unfortunately, in some verbal communication the "LESS THAN' designation (<) is sometimes missed or ignored by the communicator, which erroneously distorts its meaning and significance.

This is why it is always recommended that patients obtain a printed copy of such laboratory results, for their records. - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center