Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scared of after effects
ramblinrogr posted:
I'm 73 newly diagnosed with 4 of 12 cancer "spots" from my procedure and a Gleason of 7. Options are surgery or radiation. I accept impotency but am scard of incompetence and vectal problems.

Any suggestions?

billh99 responded:
You should get a copy of your biopsy report from the doctor. That will also tell you the percent of cancer found in the samples. And if your score was a 3 4 or 4 3.

And you did not indicate your over all health or what the PSA level was. And if the biopsy was only done because of PSA or was something felt on a DRE?

The reason I mention those is if you are considered low risk then waitfull watching is sometime recommended for older people rather than active treatment.

I was 68 and my doctor originally suggested active treatment. But then said that said I could do waitfull watching with he thought that I was undecided. (Actually I was just wanting to collect more information).

I ended up with surgery and in this thread I mention the reasons.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/prostate-cancer-exchange/forum/1174/6

ramblinrogr replied to billh99's response:
Thanks for reponding. My PSA is 7. The 4 sections showing cncer were all 3-4 - one with 25% of biopsy, one with 5%, one with10% and one with 40%. Other than that my health is good.

Still scared about incompetence (?) and rectal problems for the rest of my life with whicher way I go. Is one decision better than the other regarding those?

billh99 replied to ramblinrogr's response:
I have not looked recently, but surgery seemed to have more incontinence problem and radiation more rectal problems.

With surgery the side effects are worse immediately afterwards, but will improve upto the next 2 years.

With radiation side effects can be minimal after treatment, but get worse over the next 2 years.

A survey a couple of years ago was done with people 2 years after treatment. Both surgery and radiation patients showed the same quality of life. But them each patient had the option to select which treatment that they felt would affect them the least (although I have no idea what logic any one used to select their treatment).

From reading the forums it is purely my impression that there are treatments and/or ways of handling incontinence that much less bothersome than those with rectal problems from radiation.

Also from what I have read and it follows my experience is that for surgery losing weight - if needed - and being active before surgery - specially any activity that works the hips and legs - will drastically improve the chances of having incontinence problems.

That is a healthy diet would be a good recommendation no matter what treatment is chosen.

And I think that if you talk to doctors about any treatments that you will find that while there are risk that those that are other wise health, good weight, active, and good diet do well.

That is what my surgeon said when I had a CABG that I would not have any problems compared with his more typical patients.

Also if you do decide on surgery starting the kegel exercises before the surgery also helps.

ramblinrogr replied to billh99's response:
Thanks. Your are great help.

billh99 replied to billh99's response:
Also from what I have read and it follows my experience is that for surgery losing weight - if needed - and being active before surgery - specially any activity that works the hips and legs - will drastically improve the chances of having incontinence problems.

That should read " will drastically improve the chances of NOT having incontinence problems".

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center