Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
High PSA Number
monte258 posted:
From a company blood screening, I learned I had a PSA of 18.8. I have my PSA checked annually and it's always been below 2. I have no family history of Prostate Cancer and have no symptoms. A second blood test a few weeks later came back 12.2. I have an appointment with an Urologist Friday (8-10). From what I've read so far, I'm more curious than concerned. Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what is going on? I'll report back as to what the doctor says or does. I'll also report on the results of any biopsy or other therapies, if anyone is interested.

billh99 responded:
An "irritation" of the prostrate can increase PSA. That can include having sex, riding a bike, and inflammation.

With that big of drop in 2 weeks I suspect that at least part of the high PSA comes from some source of irritation.

monte258 replied to billh99's response:
Yeah, you're probably right. I saw the Doc yesterday and he gave that same example about riding a bike could cause the number to go up - and I do ride. He examined the prostate and said it felt ok but that I was going to need an ultra sound and a biopsy. It probably won't be for a couple of weeks, but I'll let you know the outcome.

Garza65 replied to monte258's response:
Good luck. I will be praying for you that everything turns out fine.

monte258 replied to Garza65's response:
Thank you, but prayer has never worked for me. I believe in modern technological and medical advances and the skilled doctors that use it. Also, I expect to have a clean biopsy. I'll let you know what they find.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
With a PSA of 18 and sudden decrease to 12, its likely prostatitis. I would wait until PSA comes down to more normal level before pursuing a biopsy. If it comes back down to 2, you can avoid biopsy. If it comes down to 3 or 4, reasonable to still do a biopsy, but you'll decrease likelihood of getting an infection after the biospy.

best of luck
BT

monte258 replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you, doctor. I appreciate the reply, and your advice is spot on. The only problem is that I'm just now seeing it and I've already had my biopsy. The good news is, you're right, no cancer. But I probably could have avoided it had I waited. After going through the biopsy, I was fairly convinced that it wouldn't be cancer but that the high PSA number was a result of irritating my prostate while riding my bike. This is because I was fully awake during the procedure (not enough versed, I guess). Anyway, and after the ultrasound, the doctor would warn me just before he would grab a piece of my prostate, I think 10 to 12 times in all. After each time the sensation felt exactly the way my crotch felt after sitting on the bike for 20 minutes. Now that I know this was the cause, I went and bought a "noseless" seat. Takes a little getting used to but it definitely makes a difference. Thanks again, doc.

jameshodge responded:
I am glad you found the right diagnosis and that it wasn't cancer. I've been reading up on prostate health and from what I understand what you eat can actually help the prostate. According to Super Beta Prostate reviews , prostate supplements have had some success in improving prostate health as well. It might help the PSA stay low and without side-effects because it's natural.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center