Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Elevated PSA - nervous
Garza65 posted:
Hi everyone,

Here's my story. I am Mexican-American and just turned 47 this past July. I went to my doctor for my annual physical (7/29) and all my normal bloodwork and exams went well. For whatever reason, my doctor also ordered a PSA blood test for me. My first reading came in at 2.89. My doctor had me re-take the PSA test and it came in at 3.24. She put me on antibitoics (Ciprofloxacin) for 10 days and my third PSA test came in at 3.06. I am not aware of any prostate issues with my family. My dad and brother are alive and have never mentioned any prostate issues with me. I have been very worried since my doctor told me about the first elevated PSA test. I was scheduled for a biopsy this afternoon (8/16) but my doctor had to cancel his afternoon appointments for a surgery emergency. It has been rescheduled for next Fri, 8/24. A few days ago my lower back started to hurt and my anxiety has risen since I have read that this is one of the symptoms of advanced prostate cancer and that the antibiotics did not reduce my PSA level. I can't believe I have to wait another week to see if I have cancer or not. My biggest fear is that I have had prostate cancer for a number of years with no symptoms and now it has advanced with no cure and starting to feel the symptoms. I'm married with two boys and I am scared of leaving them so soon. Any advice or phone numbers that I can call for peer advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

billh99 responded:
I can understand your anxiety. After I was diagnosed, but before treatment I was having some changes in bowel movements. While that is not a common problem with PC that has spread the close relation of the bowel to the prostate had me worried. But it turned out not to be related.

2 months later I had some very bad and unusual back pains. The concern about being related to the PC did not even come to my mind. But my PCP was really concerned. But it turned out to just be old geezer back.

My only though to you is that at your age it is unlikely that, if you have PC, that it that advanced.

http://www.ustoo.org/

This organization had lots of information about PC and they also have local support groups.

One word of warning. After you have the biopsy it will be 1-2 weeks before you get the results.

Garza65 replied to billh99's response:
Thanks Bill. I appreciate you sharing with me your experiences and the website. I will check it out.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center