Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Trouble losing weight after prostate cancer.
AER1946 posted:
My name is Andrew I had a radical prostectamy 18 months ago with some lymph nodes removed also. I am doing fine and my PSA is 0.04. The problem I have is I am having trouble losing weight.I am getting stronger though. I go the gym at least 6 days a week and weight train 2-3 times a week. No matter what I do I can't lose weight. Has anyone else run into this problem and how did they attack it. Thanks for listening.

billh99 responded:
Just having a prostectamy should not affect your ability to lose weight.

My problem has always been with portion control. You can use the search on WebMD and google to get some idea of what normal portions should be.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Losing weight is not rocket science. If calories consumed is greater than calories burned you gain weight and vice versa.

One app that has helped a lot of my patients is "Fitness Pal." Basically you record everything you eat and every exercise you do and it gives you a calorie "score" for each day. Stay under and you lose weight. Pretty simple. I've never seen it not work if you use it.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Losing weight is not rocket science, regardless if one has had prostate surgery or not.

If calories burned is greater than calories consumed you lose weight.

Try Fitness Pal -- its an app for Ipad or PC. you track your daily food and exercise. It gives you a calorie score. Stay under it and you will lose weight.

I've never seen it not work in any of my patients.

Randy222 responded:
Andrew, I am a 58 year old male who also had a radical prostatectamy 17 months ago much like yours. I am also doing fine, but I did put on 27 pounds. I have now lost 32 pounds by doing cardio first thing in the morning (45 min/interval training on a eliptical stairmaster), and I cut out a lot of bad eating habits (only during the week, hey a man has to live, right!?). It took 3 months of diligence, but I watched those pounds disappear. I gained a few back, but I've allowed myself to be less restrictive with my diet. I went from 224 to 192 and I am back up to 198 now...about normal for me. You just need to make some crucial diet changes and hit the cardio in the morning, best time. And I eat the hell out of Lean Cuisines too....great food. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center