Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
PSA of 8
An_248089 posted:
Okay so I went to my doctor today and was informed that my PSA level was 8. A year ago it was 3.9. Let me start by saying that I have have fluctuating PSA levels over the last 6-7 years, In fact 2-3 years ago it prompted him to send me to a Urologist.I had a biopsy and an IVP performed, both negative.Well once again he is sending me there. I REALLY do not want to go again. Also I should point out that I had ejaculations a few times in the days preceding my blood test. I was never told to abstain for a few days before, like I have read you should do. Is my doctor being overly cautious here? He said it didn't feel enlarged during my rectal, and I have no abnormal urinating issues.

billh99 responded:
Stimulation of the prostate can temporarily riase the PSA. That includes things like having sex, riding a bike, and inflammation of the prostate.

He said it didn't feel enlarged during my rectal, and I have no abnormal urinating issues

While those are often associated with PC, you can have PC with no symptoms.

It is certainly reasonable to wait for a recheck of the PSA before undergoing a biopsy.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Re-check it in a few weeks. You may want to consider treating with antibiotics as well and then see if it is a true elevation or elevated for benign reasons.

If its still elevated and you are not wishing to undergo a repeat (extended) prostate biopsy, you can consider use of a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (proscar or avodart) with serial PSA checks or possibly an MRI. (assuming the PSA remains elevated)

jameshodge responded:
So if you're not experiencing the typical symptoms of prostate problems, you should get a second opinion before you go for a second biopsy. If you're reading any Super Beta Prostate reviews , you know that it can help promote prostate health which is something you dialogue with the doc about as well.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center