Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
elevated psa
sehat1 posted:
Is it possible that Testosterone treatmenet (such as testopal implants) causes psa level to rise? Before T treatment my psa was 1.5 and after treatment in 4 months its elevated to 4.1 ,At this point I am avoiding biopsy as my uro suggested. I am waiting to see if by chance the effect of T treatment wear off and hopefully the psa level may come down. Does anyone know if T treatment can cause psa to rise? Would appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
I would typically not expect the T alone to cause such a dramatic increase. More likely this is some type of prostatitis. That said, the fear in using T is that theoretically many believe it is "fuel" to a prostate cancer fire.

Bottom line is I would re-check the PS and make sure it returns to normal (some would treat w/ antibiotics as well in case there is prostatitis present). If the PSA remains elevated above baseline, I would strongly consider doing a biopsy.

best of luck,
Dr. Tareen

jameshodge replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
That's a pretty good answer right here. I'd just want to add that since I've been reading Super Beta Prostate reviews , taking prostate supplements might be a good option too. It might affect your PSA levels as well.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center