Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Metastatic Prostate Cancer
An_248627 posted:
I had treatment (lupron, beam radiation, brachytherapy) 14 years ago and have had no problems until rising PSA detected a year ago (2 to 4.5 to 9.9 over 12 months).

Continued rise led to bone scan revealing spinal metastasis at L5. I am unclear what treatment is best at this point and waiting recommendations from my urologist (who did the original treatment). I am 70, have been in excellent health, take no medications, compete in marathons and exercise vigorously.

Has anyone had similar experience? What treatments are you using? Are you seeing urologist? oncologist? both?

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
You have many options. Are you currently on hormone therapy (Lupron) ? If not, than that is the first step -- androgen deprivation. This is usually achieved through an LHRG agonist (like Lupron) with or without an oral agent such as casodex.

After that fails, then you have a whole host of options. Given your metastatic disease you are an excellent candidate for Provenge. (roughly a 6 week treatment -- 3 treatments total -- one every 2 weeks).

After that you and your urologist/medical oncologist can consider chemotherapy (Taxol), Zytiga (oral drug) or Xtandi (new oral drug).

Best of luck,
BT

annierules replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Hi Basir,

Thank you for the information. I have a friend that has similar conditions to An_248627, so the information you provided would be of great help.

Annie

annierules replied to annierules's response:
Hi All,

My friend let me know that he has recently come across an article relating to HealthTap, a site where doctors and users can exchange answers and questions publicly or privately.

Here is the link to the article: http://buswk.co/Ulw5fQ .

Annie

annierules replied to annierules's response:
I hope someone finds the above links helpful

jameshodge responded:
I'm sure doctors know best but Super Beta Prostate supplement has helped more than a few. All the best deciding what course of action to take and I really commend you for staying in shape.

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center